It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Female Join date : 2011-03-15

Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm

You guys on here have been such a big help with my troubles with Meka and her crate. She goes in there by her self.. and when i leave to go to work in the moring... all i say is " in your bed" and she goes right in and lies down. But she poops in it almost every day!!!
So i get up in the moring and put her outside... i try and make sure i at least take her for a 15- 30 minute walk in the morning before my shower then she is out side for another half hour before i leave. My son lets her out around noon when he gets in for lunch... some days she has already pooped!!!
Soooo ....
i feed her the minute i get home at 4pm i was just putting a big dish out for all the dogs to eat out of...i would put about 4 cups of food in it... and they do not usaually eat it all. Ohh i have them on Nutram Lamb and Rice, i di try Taste of the Wild because i heard it was good!!! WEllllll her poooop was so soft and mushy... and smelly!!!
Back to top Go down
YurixLeah
Newborn
Newborn
YurixLeah

Female Join date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Aya does occationally poop in the crate. We've found that a mixture of letting her out before she goes in the crate, then making sure she gets a break. I don't feed her for a while before she goes in. How old is your pup? Aya is 8 months and she's not doing it on purpose but she actually can't hold it! Make sure you are disinfecting the crate everytime. Biological washing detergant works wonders (much cheaper too) and if you haven't get a devider, make it so she can only lay down and stand up. Aya sadly broke the devider...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 pm

How often is Meka being fed?

Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 pm

When you tried to transition her to TOTW, did you do it slowly? Or did you just suddenly switch her food altogether. Switching to a higher quality, richer kibble all of a sudden will cause tummy upset. And if she is really sensitive, it'll be really bad.

Sibes are notorious for having sensitive tummies, and you should always transition new foods slowly, taking AT LEAST 2 or 3 weeks to fully transition them to a new food. If you're slowly transitioning her to TOTW and she still has soft poop, she may be intolerant to one or more of the ingredients or she could be sensitive to the 'cooking' process.

Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I feed her only once... when i get home... i tried twice morning and at 4pm but she would eat it first thing.
I did slowly give her the Taste of the Wild... it took about a month till she was on only that
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 5:21 pm

How much was she being fed at each meal time? How much is she being fed now? If she wasn't eating her morning meal, that makes me think you were feeding her too much.

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Feed twice a day like you did, Meks WILL eat if hungry if not no worry. Feeding once in the evening can really overload her can come the next morning.

I feed Adobo & Biko 3 times a day, Biko eats every time, Adobo quite often will eat only once a day she looks great.

Plain and simple if they're hungry they'll eat
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 am

Maybe i will try and feed twice a day.... i just thought if i feed her in the morning also she would poop more? I was giving her 1 cup twice a day... she is tiny maybe 27 pounds and she is 8 months old... vet says she is going to be small. I was brushing her last night and i noticed she is getting skinny again. I have noticed that she does not eat much at all.
So when i clean the crate i use whatever cleaner i have on hand.... should there be something else i use instead? I put a fan infront of the crate also just to keep her cool.. and i keep the other two little barky dogs upstairs....
I love Meka so much!!! but i would really like to come home to NO poop... she must be tried of it also... do you think it also might be the dog food? So how much do you think i should feed her... or at least put down for her? and at what times... I am willing to try anything.... This is her only problem!!
so i get up at 5:30 am and home at 4:15pm... and i leave for work at 7:00am.
Any idea's would be great!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am

I would get up at 5:30, let her out, feed her. Get ready for work, do your thing, and let her out again before you leave at 7am.

I would tackle one problem at a time, so if she is doing alright on the Nutram (is that a puppy formula?) I would keep her on that until you get the crate pooping under control.

So what is she eating once a day? 2 cups once a day or 1 cup once a day?

Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 am

I would say she would be lucky to eat a cup... but i put 2 cups down ay 4:15pm when i get home...I just have her on the adult Nutram... the puppy stuff gave her the runs something bad. So the vet said just to give her the adult stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 2:02 pm

So should i give her a cup in the moring or do you think that would be to much? And should i only leave it down for 10-15 minutes? then pick it up.? I dont think she likes it much... and then give her a cup and whatever is left from the morning?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 4:11 pm

if you can get her on a feeding schedule you can better regulate when she will poo, and make sure she is eating. do you not think she likes the food? is her poo soft on the adult food? have you tried other brands of food for her? you should be strict and if she does not eat it before you have to leave for work then take it away and offer it again for dinner. dont give her more food. she will learn that she only gets so much each time and if she skips a meal she has to wait. that will get her eating each meal in time when she realizes what is going on. my boy does the same thing when its hot he stops eating so i only feed him one meal and by the next morning or night he gets hungry and eats his meals back to back like he should. its all a game...

Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 am

oHH OK!!!
i went and got Natural Balance dog food last night. The Vet said it is a good beand...? so this moring i gave her half and half and put it in front of her... walked to the bathroom dried my hair...(maybe 5 mins) came out and ...... IT WAS ALL GONE!!!!!! wow she NEVER eats that fast!!! so the bag says to feed about 1 1/2 cups daily.... for her weight....she is about 25 pounds. So how much do you think i should give her at each meal....?
And here i thought feeding her at night she wouldnt poop in the cage the next day!!! i never thought that it would be to much to digest at once ,and poop out all at once... any wonder when she poops... they look like a St. Bernards was in the back yard!!!!
so two meals would be easier on her belly then?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:10 am

Feeding guides on dog food bags are typically too much for Sibes. If the bag's feeding guide has a range, I will use the smaller portion to start (e.g. if the bag says to feed 1.5 to 2.5 cups a day, I will start with 1.5 cups). From there, if she's gaining too much weight, reduce the amount. If she's losing weight, increase the amount.

Spacing out your meals and getting her on a regular feeding schedule will also get her on a regular bathroom schedule.

Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks....
That is whati thought when i gave her the cup this morning... it says between 1 1/4 and 2 cups.... so I think I will give her a 1/2 cup in the morning and 3/4 at night. Then that should get her bowels straightened out.
This site is great !!! you have been so helpful! I hate asking at the petstore... i find they really dont have a clue about Husky's. !!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 1:23 pm

as a guide for when she gets older as a puppy she needs more food the first yr anyways to grow but she will seem skinny/lanky till about 2-3yrs old and then fill out so don't worry so much about her not looking full, go with the feel guide on the ribs and hips, if you can see them to skinny if you can't see but still feel she is a good weight. females should be under 50lbs for this breed.
my 8yrold girl gets 3/4 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night. (mix of low cal grain free, and reg grain free kibble)
my 3yrold boy gets 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup at night. ( TOTW kibble)

PostSubject: Re: Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!   Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Meks STILL poops in her CRATE!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-