It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Wow, I'm just now catching up on this thread and that lady has major BALLS!!! Sorry, but she does. I WOULD NOT let MY dog have puppies because of an "agreement". Plus, how old is Meka? 4? Isn't that already a bit up there in age to have puppies? I would take her to get spayed and tell the lady to F off if she questions you.

Ooo i'm mad!
Back to top Go down
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Personally I think she's a little old for pups but once again, don't really know anything about it. But it sounds like a good enough excuse to me if the subject comes up! This chick has us both on Facebook which we are both on daily. She has never once asked how Meka has settled in, how she is doing, nothing. I have asked her 2 questions: once right after he brought her home what type of food to buy her, and once about the messes in the house. She answers me and that's it. Poor Meka came to our house with nothing but a leash and choke collar -- no food, toys, nothing. How's that for some love! Evil or Very Mad

I didn't know that the stress/anxiety of switching homes would cause her to have house accidents and I feel bad I thought about turning her out over it. She's the first dog I've ever had. I have a freakin' zoo at my house lol but she's the first dog. I need to go through my pictures and get pictures of everyone on here sometime.

My animals are my kids though. I have never once chose to live somewhere I'd have to give them up. I have 2 cats that I've had for 9 years and I've always chosen my housing based on whether or not they allowed them. Same goes for Meka, now that I have her if we move and rent as opposed to buy it will be somewhere we don't have to give her up.

Ugh..... I never realized how much it bothered me until I found other people to discuss it with.......I HATE people that treat animals like playtoys!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:52 pm

were glad you found us Smile and i glad to hear she is starting to settle in Smile

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 pm

indigobluestarz wrote:
Ugh..... I never realized how much it bothered me until I found other people to discuss it with.......I HATE people that treat animals like playtoys!

Me too! I also have found that the majority of people that don't like animals are not very nice people. they are either very self centered or have very little compassion or both.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 pm

indigobluestarz wrote:

I HATE people that treat animals like playtoys!

You and me both!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Since this lady has no communication with you about Meka then I say to just spay her and get it over with. What's she going to do? After months of not asking about her just pop up one day and be like "so how about some puppies?" Please!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
indigobluestarz wrote:

Me too! I also have found that the majority of people that don't like animals are not very nice people. they are either very self centered or have very little compassion or both.

AMEN!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Lordbroll wrote:

ha, i have been told im self centered for not wanting kids.....and that dogs cant compare to the joys of being a mom. it takes all my power to not lose it on those people Evil or Very Mad

Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm

MelissaI wrote:
indigobluestarz wrote:

I HATE people that treat animals like playtoys!

You and me both!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Since this lady has no communication with you about Meka then I say to just spay her and get it over with. What's she going to do? After months of not asking about her just pop up one day and be like "so how about some puppies?" Please!

Pfftt... anybody that knows me, knows what kind of response THAT would be greeted with! It starts with an F and ends with a U!
Back to top Go down
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:00 pm

jbealer wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:

ha, i have been told im self centered for not wanting kids.....and that dogs cant compare to the joys of being a mom. it takes all my power to not lose it on those people Evil or Very Mad

I don't have any kids either. My husband has a daughter he has every other weekend and that's it. My animals (2 cats, 1 dog, 1 chinchilla, 1 degu and now starting a small fish tank) keep me on my toes....
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:05 pm

indigobluestarz wrote:
jbealer wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:

I don't have any kids either. My husband has a daughter he has every other weekend and that's it. My animals (2 cats, 1 dog, 1 chinchilla, 1 degu and now starting a small fish tank) keep me on my toes....

I have no kids either. My furkids are my KIDS! I'm 30 and I think I'd want one, but given the circumstances I might not be able to. Well, not me, but hubby. He went through kemo in highschool and we don't think his soliders work anymore. He needs to go check that out, but I have a feeling that it's not good. Other options are EXPENSIVEEE!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 pm

jbealer wrote:

Kids and dogs both take tons of time and money and energy and patience and devotion and dedication and... Having both makes me officially certifiable! affraid

Also, Autumn, just tell Meka's previous owner that you were brainwashed by Bob Barker. I see no reason to keep a 4 year old dog intact. ...But, as you can tell, I've been brainwashed by Bob Barker, so would always spay or neuter...

IMO, there are enough breeders in the world.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm

[quote="SabakaMom"]
jbealer wrote:
Also, Autumn, just tell Meka's previous owner that you were brainwashed by Bob Barker. I see no reason to keep a 4 year old dog intact. ...But, as you can tell, I've been brainwashed by Bob Barker, so would always spay or neuter...

lol!

And agreed Smile

My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
akarisilver
Newborn
Newborn
akarisilver

Male Join date : 2011-05-19

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Agreed! You and your husband are the pack leader now, not the old lady. Meka depends on you to take care of her I love you

If Meka is still having trouble going into her crate, I gave Akira a treat everytime she went inside her crate and it seemed to help. Sometimes when she is out of her crate, I will lay a treat in her crate, then throw a toy in it. She'll run in her crate, chew on her toy, then find her tasty treat.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:26 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
jbealer wrote:

Kids and dogs both take tons of time and money and energy and patience and devotion and dedication and... Having both makes me officially certifiable! affraid

lol! I agree. My cats were spayed/neutered right away. If we had gotten Meka as a puppy, she would have been spayed right away as well.

Well, Meka knows the sound of my car when I pull in the driveway... by the time I got out and checked the mailbox I could hear her whining -- and my house was closed up with the a/c on she was going at it that loud! As soon as she saw me she started yelping even louder (not sure how lol) and dancing in her crate... I almost wish I had a video camera going.....thought she might stomp her way out! lol. As soon as I opened the door she came flying out of there and proceeded to zoom around the house... she managed to get a lap in before I got her to stand still so I could put her outside. Got her back in and gave her cuddles and treats, and I do believe she is now permanently attached to my side lol. I am SO glad daddy leaves after I do and has to deal with the sad puppy face tomorrow morning lol. Hopefully she will learn to like it better.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:37 pm

she will get use to the crate as long as you make it a happy place to be.
when we crated ours ( we did for 1.5yrs after adopting them) i would do the special treat for the cage and i would make them sit in the crate waiting for it. i would give it after they sat and as they were eating i closed the door and said good by so i did not see the sad face!
and when my husband or i got home they would be excited but again with the training i would make them sit and wait for me to open the door to let them out. this calmed them down some so i would not be plowed over when i opened the crate doors. they then ran straight to the back door to go potty. if i was feeling really "mean" i would make them sit again at the door before letting them out Wink it really helped with having them listen when they are super excited and know that unless they calm down were not doing anything. just an idea for you Smile and i love to hear them greet me before i open the door.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Haha, I can hear my 2 from the street! We live in a duplex...well actually more like a triplex. We're in the back so we park and have to walk a little to get to our front door. There are 2-3 AC's going from the neighbors and you can STILL hear them. It's so cute. I've starting making Kody sit before opening the crate because he goes nuts!!!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 pm

jbealer wrote:

Went through that same BS for a long time, never had kids and have never regretted that decision. Besides kids are a pain in the ass, I know I was one once.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:24 pm

--Autumn, glad Meka is starting to fit in. Patience is the key & sometimes hard to find with a Husky!
--Jenn & Len, we also are child-less except for the pups. Our choice. A true dog lover gives them- self away when talking to another. Easy to spot. Their compassion, I think....
--Tori, I agree with the rawhides & supervision. Almost lost one of my dogs years ago, as he swallowed too large of a piece and almost choked to death. Thank God Marshall had the smarts to come running to us & we had to pull it out of his throat carefully, so as not to push it further in. When I think about the fact that he could have choked when we weren't there...*shudder*
--Melissal, the sound of 3 Huskies & a Beagle-mix greeting you is something wonderfully horrible! That's what we have when we pull up in the drive. "A great cacphony of sound" is what I call it. It's the greates, isn't it?
And Len, LOVE the Kool-Aid reference! Kudos!
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:58 am

Woah... I'm just getting caught up here, too. First off, get Meka spayed ASAP. Tell the psycho-lady and your husband to go spend some time at an animal shelter, get to know a few of the dogs on "death row." The stats for any dog going into a shelter and coming back out alive are scary low compared to the alternative. I have a ton of resources of data about kill shelters and animal populations... I'm happy to pass on if you're interested. It's got some gut wrenching and pretty horrific info, but it's VERY effective at deterring BYB wannabes and people who just want a puppy, and the "let the kids witness the miracle of birth" crowd... Seriously. Ugh. I have rescued ALL of my animals. I'm very passionate about spay/neuter and educating people about the realities even cute husky puppies face... Steer that woman to a shelter or rescue and don't feel bad AT ALL for doing what's right for YOUR dog.

And, on a side note, I love that there are so many like-minded and understanding people when it comes to being childless by choice. I need more friends IRL who "get" it and don't make me feel like I'm a horrible person for not wanting kids.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 am

I think I have you guys beat in the noise-when-you-come-home department lol

4 Huskies and a Border Collie who thinks he's a Husky, plus a weird red cat who's convinced she's a dog... all screaming. Gotta love coming home!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 am

CoffeeK8 wrote:
I have rescued ALL of my animals. I'm very passionate about spay/neuter and educating people about the realities even cute husky puppies face... Steer that woman to a shelter or rescue and don't feel bad AT ALL for doing what's right for YOUR dog.

AMEN! Mine are all rescues as well. I wish anyone wanting to get or breed an animal would be required to spend one day in a kill shelter we might be able to curb the pet overpopulation issue. One week last month we had 500+ pets come into our local shelter (puppy season discards). They are actually lucky compared to most shelters as the live release rate is currently around 65%.

CoffeeK8 wrote:
And, on a side note, I love that there are so many like-minded and understanding people when it comes to being childless by choice. I need more friends IRL who "get" it and don't make me feel like I'm a horrible person for not wanting kids.

I'm in that club. God bless those that want to help continue human existence by having children but it's not for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am

Lordbroll wrote:
CoffeeK8 wrote:
I have rescued ALL of my animals. I'm very passionate about spay/neuter and educating people about the realities even cute husky puppies face... Steer that woman to a shelter or rescue and don't feel bad AT ALL for doing what's right for YOUR dog.

AMEN! Mine are all rescues as well. I wish anyone wanting to get or breed an animal would be required to spend one day in a kill shelter we might be able to curb the pet overpopulation issue. One week last month we had 500+ pets come into our local shelter (puppy season discards). They are actually lucky compared to most shelters as the live release rate is currently around 65%.

CoffeeK8 wrote:

I'm in that club. God bless those that want to help continue human existence by having children but it's not for me.

Woo hoo! I'm in both clubs too!
G&S are rescues and THEY ARE my kids!

Funny how I plan play dates for my furbabies with other husky moms like how moms plan playdate for their kids....

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:32 am

Well now I feel out of place. I'm a huge fan of rescue and all three of my dogs and one of my guinea pigs are rescues. However I do want kids in the worst way, just waiting until we are more settled down before we start trying. I do treat my dogs as though they were my kids, but I do want real kids of my own one day...hopefully soon before I get to old to handle little ones. I want 6 kids and hubby wants 0. *sigh* I think we've agreed to start at one in a couple years and see how we feel about more after that. Lol. Now how did this turn into a discussion about kids? Razz

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:42 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Well now I feel out of place. I'm a huge fan of rescue and all three of my dogs and one of my guinea pigs are rescues. However I do want kids in the worst way, just waiting until we are more settled down before we start trying. I do treat my dogs as though they were my kids, but I do want real kids of my own one day...hopefully soon before I get to old to handle little ones. I want 6 kids and hubby wants 0. *sigh* I think we've agreed to start at one in a couple years and see how we feel about more after that. Lol. Now how did this turn into a discussion about kids? Razz
Phew, Val! I thought I was the only one! John and I are pretty agreed on 2-4. Two of our own, and anything over that we will adopt. Although I am ALL FOR being a mom, I personally don't believe in adding to the world more than I'm taking out. Not when so many kids (like our beautiful dogs) need loving homes. We'll see how that conversation goes if John doesn't get his 1 of each gender in the first two, lol. Stupid Italians Razz

My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 am

I'm in the "get her spayed" department as well.

As for kids? Bring 'em on! I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.   My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My big problem with Meka... and not sure how to solve it.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next