It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

help with walky dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

help with walky dog Empty
PostSubject: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

Hello everyone, this is a question not a review. I recently took up biking again and of course had to get the walky dog. I just got it in and went to install it and this is where I ran into problems. I am 5'4" and ride a 26" bike with the seat as low as it could possibly go. My bike does not have enough room to install the walky dog below the seat where it should go. When I tried to put it lower on the frame of the bike it was too low. I kept hitting it with my leg. I have looked at the low rider attachment but that looks like it would be too low for Miko. Any suggestions on what to do?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:26 pm

I just recently got the walky dog also and I'm 5"1 with a 26" bike so imagine..LOL! I didn't install it where it should go either. My hubby installed it directly under where it "should go" and when he rode the bike it hit his leg, but it doesn't bother me at all. Guessing because I'm so short..LOL!

One thing though. Mya and Kody must pull real hard because after only using the walky dog (on my brand new bike) for a week or so the handle bar got totally lose and I can't use it. We have to buy an allen wrench or something according to the hubby to fix it. I thinking it's because I put so mush weight on the handle bars to keep it straight when they pull =(

Sorry, I'm being no help here =(
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:12 am

Do you hit the walky dog with the back of your thigh or calf?

I wonder if it'll help if you angle the walky dog more toward that back instead of right out to the side?

If you put the walky dog lower than it should be, I don't think it would matter if it's lower than Miko - I think you'd still be OK.

Hubby puts an extension leash from the walky dog to Ginger's harness so it's not so short....
help with walky dog Walky_11

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

Claudia it was hitting the back of my calf. I am not concerned with it being lower than Miko. The low rider attachment looks like it would be too low and pull her harness sideways. I hadn't though of usuing an extension. Thanks for the suggestion!
Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:39 am

So I tried today to just turn it back toward the rear wheel. Unfortunately the frame of the bike is much thicker than the base of the bike seat. It looked pretty secure, but once we picked up some speed Miko started pulling and twisted it forward so we were back to hitting my leg on it. Ordering the low rider attachment, hopefully we'll have some better luck.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Has anyone used the low rider attachment? Just looking at it I'd be concerned about having the attachment at the rear wheel from a center of gravity perspective. Would that positioning not pose a balance concern for the rider if you have a large dog or a dog that either pulls or might jerk to the side due to prey drive? I hope that works better for you Becky. I just got a Springer bike attachment this week and I cannot even tell you how awesome it's been to bike with my sibe safely. Hope you can start using your Walky dog soon!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Has anyone used the low rider attachment? Just looking at it I'd be concerned about having the attachment at the rear wheel from a center of gravity perspective. Would that positioning not pose a balance concern for the rider if you have a large dog or a dog that either pulls or might jerk to the side due to prey drive? I hope that works better for you Becky. I just got a Springer bike attachment this week and I cannot even tell you how awesome it's been to bike with my sibe safely. Hope you can start using your Walky dog soon!

I was looking into the low rider attachment before the hubby got me the walky dog and that was one of my main concerns too Val. I was like "ummm, i see the back wheel totally swerving to the side and me on the ground" LOL! I'm glad that the springer is working so well for Dakota! I wish Kody liked it. All he wants to do is stop and smell everything and try to eat it. He'll literally stop cold turkey and refuse to move. I have to take him off of the walky dog, let me sniff around for a few minutes, and then try it again. Mind you this is at the park so it's not like i can just leave the bike and take him on a regular walk Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Melissa, do you walk him before biking? I take Dakota out for a walk first before biking so he gets all his stopping to sniff, pee, and poo out before we go with the bike. It helps a lot but obviously hasn't completely eliminated the attempts to stop while biking.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I did try that once or twice, but then he's tired from his walk and doesn't want to go at all. I'm going to try walking Mya, then walking Kody, then taking Mya on the walky dog, and then him to see if that works. Sounds like a 2hr event right there. Ughhh, if i'm ever able to walk them together I'll be a happy camper!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help with walky dog   help with walky dog Empty

Back to top Go down

help with walky dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1