It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Male or Female

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeremy
Newborn
Newborn

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi everyone. I plan on getting a Siberian Husky in 2 months, and was wondering what gender would be best. I know that it ultimately depends on the pup itself. But i was wondering how each one of your dogs' personality( Male and or Female) is like; Good and Bad. I want to here from Husky owners so i have some kind of idea.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Jeremy and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad that you are doing your research before you go with a husky... kudos to you!

The best person to answer this would be the breeder that you are purchasing from if you are going with a puppy. If you don't have a breeder yet, I highly recommend you start looking now. Check out our How to Find a Reputable Breeder Thread for a list of places and questions to start asking.

Like you've already mentioned, there is no specific gender personailty. It really depends on their breeding and the environment that they grew up in. I've met submissive and docile males as well as dominant and aggressive females. This is why I urge you to speak to a reputable breeder who will match your personality to that of your future pup. Some of the best breeders won't promise a male or a female, but rather will find one in each litter who's personality matches your own.

If you plan on a adopting, all I can say is make sure you do an in-person visit and ask the shelter or rescue to take the dog out for a walk away from the shelter. Dogs will act very differently in the shelter than they will out in the world.

Good luck! And let us know if you have any more questions Smile

Male or Female Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

i prefer one of each Smile

Tori gave you some good advice. i don't have much more to add to it

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Tori's advice was spot on! What else is there say?

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Awww, shucks Embarassed Very Happy

Male or Female Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm

I've had one of each but not at the same time. My thought is that a 60 lb dog has more fur to shed than a 35 lb female. Just sayin'... affraid

Like others have said, I don't think one sex is superior to the other.

Last edited by SabakaMom on Mon May 16, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:03 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
I've had one of each but not at the same time. My thought is that a 60 lb dog has more fur to shed than a 35 lb female. Just sayin'...

Don't forget that the majority of female sibes out there are not necessarily as small as your last. Wink At least 90% of the female sibes I've met are bigger than my 50 lb male unfortunately. Razz

Newborn
Newborn

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Thank you all very much. I had done countless hours of research and bought some books also.
I am also in the process of contacting reputable breeders.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Let us know if you need any help or recommendations!

Can't wait to see pictures of the little pup when you find him/her! Very Happy

Male or Female Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:14 pm

You know, I will say this about males vs females. Regardless of breed, I find that females are typically more independent while males have a higher tendency to be more "clingy".

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
You know, I will say this about males vs females. Regardless of breed, I find that females are typically more independent while males have a higher tendency to be more "clingy".

Val, you're SO SO RIGHT! Mya is very independent and affectionate only when she's "in the mood". Kody, on the other hand, is TOTALLY clingy and wanting love all time! He gives you kisses on command, lays by your feet, sleeps on top of you, etc. Mya you have to ask for it and only get it if you're lucky..lol
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:20 pm

[quote="Huskyluv"]You know, I will say this about males vs females. Regardless of breed, I find that females are typically more independent while males have a higher tendency to be more "clingy".[/quote

My two would prove this theory correct. However, even though Willow is idependent of me, she absolutly adores my son. She loved my brother too. Now that I think about it, I think she just loves men in general. My coworker says the same about her two dogs. Her male is her baby and the female loves her husband.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:21 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

Val, you're SO SO RIGHT! Mya is very independent and affectionate only when she's "in the mood". Kody, on the other hand, is TOTALLY clingy and wanting love all time! He gives you kisses on command, lays by your feet, sleeps on top of you, etc. Mya you have to ask for it and only get it if you're lucky..lol
See... even though Koda's a momma's boy and recently has been velcro puppy with me... he is STILL the independent one. Hailey is HANDS DOWN the cuddle bug. Anytime, anywhere. You want lovin'? She's there! (Wow. I can't believe that rhymes...)

ETA: I agree with 26nikita though on that. Hailey is the quintessential daddy's girl and Koda is SO the mommy's boy. Like woah. So I wonder how much of these "independent females" and "clingy males" are really just momma's boys and daddy's girls?

Male or Female Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:30 pm

I honestly think the independent vs clingy is totally separate from the momma's boy vs daddy's girl. That's purely based on my personal observation of my own dogs and the dogs of all my friends, family members, etc.

Dakota is a total momma's boy and he is independent sometimes and more clingy sometimes, overall I'd say he's more clingy now than independent when it comes to being in the house. He didn't used to be that way, when he was younger he was very independent.

Faith is a total daddy's girl but she is very independent, not a clingy bone in her body. She likes to do her own thing on her own time. Total diva!

Glory is a momma's girl actually and is super super clingy, she defies all the odds. Razz

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:33 pm

[quote="26nikita"]
Huskyluv wrote:
You know, I will say this about males vs females. Regardless of breed, I find that females are typically more independent while males have a higher tendency to be more "clingy".[/quote

My two would prove this theory correct. However, even though Willow is idependent of me, she absolutly adores my son. She loved my brother too. Now that I think about it, I think she just loves men in general. My coworker says the same about her two dogs. Her male is her baby and the female loves her husband.

I always thought it was that way...the female dogs love the daddy and the male dogs love the mommy. Nope, Kody ADORES my hubby! I have to admit that sadly enough he loves my hubby more than me even though I'm the one that DOES EVERYTHING FOR THEM! =( We get home and he fights me off to run to daddy. Not cool! Mya does love me more though. She's not clingy at all, but she let's me lay on her and she comes to lay on the couch with me. She's not a huge fan of the hubby. It's weird..lol
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I honestly think the independent vs clingy is totally separate from the momma's boy vs daddy's girl. That's purely based on my personal observation of my own dogs and the dogs of all my friends, family members, etc.

I would agree. My Dakota is not a cuddle bug at all, but he is clingy to me. Where I go, he goes at all times. He is only like that with me, but I have been his sole caretaker so maybe he would be that way with my son if he was the caretaker instead??? Willow is super independant but an outrageous flirt with men.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I think Kody might go the other "way" lol! He LOVES the hubby, obsessed with my brother, and my dad! Go figure! lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyTue May 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Adobo, hangs around when she feels like it other wise like now she is sleeping in "her" room. I'm inclined to think she likes me more due to my more extensive experience with handling of dogs. Dog ownership is still rather new experience for Beth, since she never had a dog until her arrival here in 2006.

Biko. well he sticks to me like glue. Seems to think it is his obligation to be my protector once the sun sets (strange). If I hit the sheets on a weekend before Beth and she enters the bedroom later Biko jumps up on the bed and growls for all its worth. Scared the bejeepers out of Beth for a while but we've all gotten used to the grumbles from him.

Mylo, on the other hand was he was here was 110% momma's boy. I was nice to have around in his opinion because I was the one that took them out for the daily walks rain or shine. He absolutely adored Beth.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyWed May 18, 2011 12:25 am

Ginger and Storm are both independent, but Ginger is more affectionate. Storm likes to approach people, not be approached by people. They both are very obedient. My 2 are both more attached to me and listen to me more willingly, but I'm guessing that's because I'm the one around 95% of the time. I'm also the one to walk them, feed them, discipline/training. Hubby and I both give affection, but if we're both in the room, my 2 will tend to migrate more toward me than hubby.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyWed May 18, 2011 1:27 am

Here4thePics wrote:
Biko. well he sticks to me like glue. Seems to think it is his obligation to be my protector once the sun sets (strange). If I hit the sheets on a weekend before Beth and she enters the bedroom later Biko jumps up on the bed and growls for all its worth. Scared the bejeepers out of Beth for a while but we've all gotten used to the grumbles from him.

This is Sierra 100%! She is my protector, and has come close to bitting ken a few times as he tries to get into bed if she is up sleeping with me, has woken me out of a dead sleep a few times.

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyWed May 18, 2011 3:35 am

I really don't think that gender and dependancy have any realationship to each other. We all have our stories to show that. My girl Miko is at my side whenever I am home, gets mad when I leave without her and enthusiastically waits by the door eager for my return. She could care less where daddy is. I think it all comes down to your pups personality and how you handle them.

PS Jeremy if you are looking to get your husky from a breeder it may be helpful to guestimate its adult size if the parents are on sight. Everyone told me females average between 35-45lbs. Miko is 52lbs and very healthy but she was the pudgiest pup in the litter and her father was a really big boy. I knew she would be a big girl. Maybe some one else has some more insight on this.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female EmptyWed May 18, 2011 10:40 am

Here4thePics wrote:
Adobo, hangs around when she feels like it other wise like now she is sleeping in "her" room.

Ha, Adobo = Mya and Biko = Kody..LOL! Mya does her own thing and hangs out in "her room" also. Her room being the tv room...on the couch! She'll come lay in bed with us at night when she wants, but by 3am she's waking me up to let her go to "her room". Kody, well he's obsessed with my husband and is always near us!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Empty

Back to top Go down

Male or Female

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1