It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dew claw chewing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:42 am

I know I have heard people talking about how they have their dogs dew claws removed, does anybody know what the benefit of this is? I ask because Miko is constantly chewing on hers. She gnaws it right down to the skin and it make me so nervous (and grossed out) that she might hurt herself. I spoke to a vet tech about this and was told to put hot sauce on them! No, I did not do this out of fear that it would get in her eyes...or that she would like it and chew them more.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:29 am

I think the main reason for removal is so they don't get pulled out if ever caught on something, its done when they are young.
Sierra has hers and I need to make sure I stay on top of triming them, they do grow fast.
Jack does not have his.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:58 pm

jbealer wrote:
I think the main reason for removal is so they don't get pulled out if ever caught on something, its done when they are young.

Ditto. Getting their dew claws caught on something and accidentally ripping them out is really the only reason to have them removed in this breed. Some breeds do not allow it in the breed standard but that does not apply to sibes.

Their front dew claws are actually quite useful so I wouldn't ever remove them unless there was a serious risk in having them. They often use their dew claws to "hold" things when they are chewing so they do get some use out of them. Working sibes are more likely to have them removed as dew claws can be a liability and working dogs have a higher risk of getting them caught in something on the job. For the average pet that doesn't do any serious work or pulling a sled on a regular basis they should not be problem.

If dew claws are going to be removed it should be when the dog is a very young puppy (generally within days after birth) before the bones have really hardened. It is much easier on the dog to have it done when they are a puppy. Having the dew claws removed in an adult is much harder and more painful in an adult dog as the bones are hardened already and they will take longer to heal. While it is possible to do to an adult dog, it is very painful and it is not something I would recommend unless there is a serious issue. Chewing on her dew claws is not what a would consider a strong enough case for having them removed.

Your vet tech had a good idea. Instead of hot sauce I would suggest spraying her dew claws with a bitter apple spray to discourage chewing. Also when she does start chewing give her a vocal correction to distract her and give her something else to focus her attention on whether it be a chew, a toy, going for a walk, or playing with her. Just give her something else to do besides chewing her dew claws.

Could she have an itch or some kind of irritation at the site? Could she be bored maybe? Some dogs chew on parts of themselves out of boredom.

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:19 pm

She has doneit since she was a puppy so I don't think it is an itch. Perhaps boredom. I have noticed it more late at night (as you can see from the hour of my post we are night owls). Is there something aside from bitter apple I can try? Miko is resilient to bitter apple, so much so that she will lick the bottle if you let her.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:23 pm

could you try taping it? or will she eat it? do you trim them for her when she is not chewing them? maybe they have split up and it is bothering her?
did anyone give you an option of pulling them when she was a puppy?

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:12 pm

No one ever spoke to me about to me about having them removed. And she chews her right dew claww more than the left. She does it so much and so often that it has never been more than a nub, so it has never been trimmed.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Becky wrote:
Is there something aside from bitter apple I can try? Miko is resilient to bitter apple, so much so that she will lick the bottle if you let her.

You could try a white vinegar/water spray mixture as an alternative to bitter apple spray. Did you shake the bitter apple spray before using it? Sometimes it can separate after a while making it less effective.

For the white vinegar/water spray, mix 1 part white vinegar with 3 parts water in a spray bottle and then spray it on. Just keep in mind that this works for some and doesn't work for others, could be worth a try though.

Regardless, I would distract her and redirect her attention to something else immediately every time she starts. Since she's been doing this since puppyhood it will be harder to break this habit since she's so used to doing it, kinda like teaching a child to stop sucking their thumb. Wink Be patient, persistent, and consistent. You want to catch her in the act, stop the chewing and give her something else to chew on that is more appropriate. If you are consistent and watch her like a hawk you should start seeing results slowly but surely.

Newborn
Newborn
MaryanneW

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:55 pm

We adopted Chinook in March and I noticed, after a month or two, that his dew claws weren't growing. Then I saw him chewing on them! I will say that he doesn't chew down to the skin, and doesn't chew on the constantly, so I think we're good. We never saw that with either Sitka or Kenai.
Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:59 am

Mayanne, Miko has never actually hurt herself, it just makes me nervous that she might(and grosses me out). I have learned to just accept it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dew claw chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew claw chewing   Dew claw chewing Empty

Back to top Go down

Dew claw chewing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1