It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking into adding another...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

Looking into adding another... Empty
PostSubject: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 11:24 am

Obviously adding another dog is more work, but I'm in a good position to do so. There's a younger female at our local humane society who is very sweet. She and Wolf get alone very well (they had a meet and greet ). Something is holding me back though. Wolf gets very attached to people he's around. I've been thinking about it all weekend and wavering. I guess I have this guilt that wolf would feel abandoned suddenly having to share us because he's been an only child his whole life Maybe you guys can help my decision. Part of me thinks he'd love having a friend. He adapts to change very easily. I just don't know haha.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 11:37 am

Exactly how I felt when pregnant with 2nd child vis-a-vis first child. Ami would adore having a 2nd dog...husband, not so much. So we have a part-timer - my son's dog spends quite a bit of time with us.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 11:41 am

That's exactly what my mother said when discussing it with her! I guess dog parents are the same as human parents. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Huskies are such social animals I doubt Wolf would feel neglected by having a full time friend to play with. While Wolf may feel a little jealous from having to share you, it'll be a net gain for him in the end in my opinion.

Beyond that, I'd be scared of what would become of that dog in the shelter. Huskies are high maintenance dogs. They are very popular now days, but people don't know what they are getting into, so the number of abandoned huskies has skyrocketed.
Its one of the reasons we adopted our new pup from the shelter. When we went to meet up with him, the other families that were interested didn't have a clue. The kids didn't care about the dog, the parents barely looked at him, and when I casually chatted with them, they had no clue about the breed. I was on the fence personally about getting another dog, but after I went home and thought about the life he'd have with one of those other families...well, I couldn't live with myself.
I'm probably not helping. lol
Everyone in our household has gained something from getting the new dog. Our older dog who's been our only dog for almost a year now is more active and playful and likely appreciates all the extra attention he's gotten also. Our kids are more involved with the dogs again, and both my wife and I are more active. We'd fallen into a rut with our older dog and we weren't challenging ourselves to interact with him. The new dog broke that rut and forced us to rethink a few things, and the older dog is more active, getting a better diet, and has more activities and better stimulation than before. We also rebuilt the indoor kennel and improved the outdoor kennel. And we're going to be rebuilding the outdoor kennel and adding to it next summer also.

We don't know your situation. You need to take the time and really think it through. Do you have the time and effort to work with 2 dogs? Do you have the desire to? Is it financially sound? Are you willing to work with all the previously learned habits of the shelter dog?
Fear of regret from making the wrong decision is usually a fear of regret from making an uninformed decision. If you take the time to consider your options and know you are making the right choice, there is no longer fear.

By the way, Wolf is a beautiful dog. His coloration pattern is very striking.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Well I have the ways and means for another dog, and he's had temporary guests visit as well. So I'm ready and able to have another. I have all the stuff. She's about 4, but I think she's a bit younger. Her file said she was picked up as a stray, but it couldn't have been long because shes a healthy weight. She was microchipped and they contacted the owners but they never came to pick her up.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Well I have the ways and means for another dog, and he's had temporary guests visit as well. So I'm ready and able to have another. I have all the stuff. She's about 4, but I think she's a bit younger. Her file said she was picked up as a stray, but it couldn't have been long because shes a healthy weight. She was microchipped and they contacted the owners but they never came to pick her up. Unfortunately I have spent time with her now and she snuggles into me when I kneel down. I've been picked!
I went to the shelter considering adopting because they had a couple huskies.

Last edited by DarkDiamond on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 2:47 pm

I really haven't found having a second being more work. As long as proper training is done with both it's just an extra body more than extra work. My girl was an only child for a year before I got my male. She hasn't felt abandoned at all. Having the playmate has actually made her feel less abandoned because when I don't have time to give her she still has him to play with. I would go for it if I were you.

Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 5:11 pm

That was kind of my thinking as well.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I had similar thoughts to you. I've always had 2 huskies, Kohdi was my first solo puppy, and for me it was never a question of *if* I'd get another, but when. However, the more time I spent with Kohdi by himself, the more I questioned whether another one was for the best. The day came though that my ideal lil girl was born and I had to jump on it cuz others on the waiting list would snatch her, and honestly, I was worried I was "ruining" Kohdi's life Sad the closer the day came to picking Mishka up, the more worried I got...I hadn't slept even one minute the night before my long drive to the breeder. My worry was for nothing, Kohdi accepted her immediately, and he knows he is still my boy Wink I've never seen jealousy from Kohdi, he never went thru any phase of seeming like he was being left out or anything, and above all, I really don't think Kohdi would wanna go back to being solo dog, these two are great together, I couldn't be happier about that. At the beginning, I made sure I gave Kohdi his one on one time with me (still do) and my friends/family were awesome with giving him just as much attention as the new lil puppy when they saw them (I think both these things are kinda important) these kinds of things, I feel, ensured Kohdi wouldn't resent having a new dog around, that and...he's a husky Wink I think huskies are a breed that thrive on another dog around.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide. I do know the thoughts going around in circles in your head.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:32 pm

I've wanted another for quite a while, but I have Wolf's best interest in mind as well.  I think he'd like having a companion.

Here's a picture of her...
Looking into adding another... Zana12
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 pm

She's beautiful!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:36 pm

She's quite the looker. I'm sure he'd be proud to have her at his side. And I bet she would love being part of your family.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:28 pm

She is really pretty. I do hope you get her (no pressure! Lol).

Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Well I went and visited her again for a while.  They spayed her yesterday (monday) so that may be the cause of some of her behaviors.  She tends to be untrusting of men (though she has warmed up to me). For example, if I try to play with her, she'll tuck down and kind of yelp, in fear I assume because I can't find any sign of old injury.  If any of the girls at the shelter do the same, she'll bow and play.  She's obviously been abused, and doesn't like being patted on the hind end.  I had picked her up and held her the day before, and she didn't mind, but today she wasn't thrilled.  I'm sure that she's sore from her procedure, and maybe still having side effects from anesthesia.  Definitely not a deal breaker, and definitely not her fault. The more I think about it, the more I feel that I was meant to give her the home she deserves (though I still haven't made a decision :/).  Living with Wolf and I could even help her recover.  She was left at the shelter because her previous owner didn't want to pay the $50 fee. Mad Mad

Also, her name is Zana.  (pronounced Zay-na)
Looking into adding another... Zzzz11
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 8:25 pm

My friend has a Great Dane rescue, who seems to have a fear/untrust of small framed German women, cuz she doesn't seem to like my mom, and yet, as little as my mom sees her, the Great Dane has warmed up to her, not completely, but by a lot! My father had a Doberman rescue, who had a fear of large groups of people and of people reaching down towards him to quickly...took some time but he overcame it (rescue said the poor Doberman was seriously abused) I know other rescues as well, all seem to have a fear of something at the beginning, and while it might never be totally overcame, one can still enjoy a long, happy life with them. I also think, should you get Zana, she will observe how Wolf is with you and in my opinion, will help her overcome whatever the fear is, even more quickly. I wouldn't worry about the fear too much. I think the extra time you take getting her to trust you, will also help build an even stronger bond.
She is a beautiful little girl with such bright, happy eyes. I know you have a lot to consider, but like you have already said, maybe this is a meant to be kind of thing where you were meant to give her a great life, and she in turn gives Wolf and you an even greater life.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am

Well, I had to make the hard decision to not adopt her. I decided that she would do better with a woman, as she is just so fearful of men, especially when touched. I just don't think I could give her the help she needs without devoting all my attention to her, which is not fair to Wolf. She will be adopted though! This is a sanctuary, shelter, so her life is not in jeopardy. I feel bad for her, but I truly believe that it's what's best.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 12:00 pm

You are a stronger than person than I. Hopefully the shelter staff will realize her female own needs as you have. The right one will come along for you.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Awwww man, not the outcome I hoped for you and Wolf, but it's obvious how much thought you put into your decision so I totally understand and respect that. Zana will find that home she needs, she's a beautiful little girl. And when it's right, and everything just fits, Wolf will have a little sister Smile you better keep us updated on that! Wink
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Hey Graham, I've been reading and didn't feel I had a lot to add - and I really thought that Zana had a place with you and Wolf.

At the moment I have three Huskies - and never again, two is good, three are about to drive me more nuts!  

I'll relate this and then let it go.  Several years ago I had the chance to pick up a black Lab who had been pretty seriously abused.  If she was laying beside my chair and I stood up, she'd quickly move away, if I reached to pet her and my hand moved over her head, she'd duck.  I went over to visit a lady friend of mine and Kalah went to lay by her, when B stood up Kalah just looked at her as B stepped over her - and my jaw dropped.  She trusted B to step over her but not me ... well, time passed and she got better about me walking around her, stepping over her, eventually there was the full trust that I had come to expect with most of my dogs.  It felt real good to know that I was able to build up her trust in humanity again.

At the time I brought Kalah home, I already had a mixed Spaniel - they were a riot to watch play together 'cause Blondie was short enough that she could go under Kalah - and Kalah'd stand there with a "where'd she go?" look.

You made the right choice for you and Wolf and I respect that; it's rough taking a dog who's been abused and making that turn-around - but man, it's so great to see!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Well the right decision is not always the easy decision.  I'll keep an eye on her at the shelter, and who knows what could happen in the future.

I have, however, found another candidate who was surrendered because the owner decided she didn't want a husky.  We have a meet and greet scheduled for This coming Sunday! She's about 1.5yrs, and currently in a foster, and I'm told she does very well.  Her mask is very unique.

Looking into adding another... Ziv10
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 1:39 am

She is gorgeous! Let us know how the meet goes!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 3:11 am

She is stunning!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptySun Oct 23, 2016 11:22 am

Good luck to you today! I hope the meet goes well for you guys Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptySun Oct 23, 2016 1:12 pm

You are going to let us know how the meet with her goes, yes?? Hope it goes well.

In that picture she looks 'heavy' (I won't say overweight, my Sasha is technically overweight, but she's also very solid!)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... EmptySun Oct 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks, Jimmy!

Well we had our meet and greet, and it went very well. In fact, I was ready to write the check. She's still intact, and has a spay scheduled through the rescue at a local veterinary school (they have cheaper rates). I was told on the phone on Thursday that my application was approved and I could come visit, and if I liked her I could pay the adoption fee and pick her up after the spay. Well, when I got there today I was told that now someone else has applied and been approved, so now I have to wait for them to have a meet and greet. Then they will decide who gets to adopt her. Completely contrary to what I was told the day before, and I made that quite clear. So we'll see what happens. The other applicant has only owned a husky in the past, and currently no dogs. So all I can be is hopeful.

But anyway, yes Al, she is a bit overweight. Her previous owner open fed her so she ate too much, and probably didn't get much exercise. The foster is feeding too much as well, but I didn't say anything. They said she weighs 56lbs, and I think she should be around 40.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking into adding another...   Looking into adding another... Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking into adding another...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next