It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Poor thing-hope her legs okay from today, and keeps improving!!!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 9:59 am

After an hour and then walking on it again, to me, is a good sign that there isn't a setback. Has to be scary though. Let us know if you find out anything.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Hope it was more scare than hurt...poor Sierra, poor Mummy...poor Jack "What did I dooooo?!!?"
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 1:42 pm

So i got home late last night and Ken said she was fine on their walk and she seemed to be walking ok. She let me do some of her therapy moves on the leg this morning. So maybe it was an over reaction or just in the moment pain. She still, when standing, will not put full weight on that leg, but walking it looks like she does... so not sure what that means.
Thank you all for the well wishes for her, she is using them!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Jennifer - walking puts intermittent stress on the leg and since its in motion, not in the same exact spot for more that a flash.  Standing is static and continuous.  At least that's how I explain my preference for walking versus standing.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 am

Before Jack bumped into Sierra, was she putting her full weight on the leg when standing, Jennifer? If she was, then I think it's kinda odd she's not now. I mean it's good that she seems to be ok walking, but I'm wondering if anything slightly out of whack can be masked easier in a walk versus standing. (?) I just hope she's ok and can get back to her old self soon.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 pm

So we are about 2 monts out from surgery. we went to see a physical therapist tonight to make sure she is making progress. her hip is tight which explains why she has not froggy laid since the surgery. I was shown some stretchs to do and to massage her spine and use her tail to release pressure on the spine. we also put her in a water treadmill tonight to help build up her leg strength. she did so good for a girl that hates water! we will go back weekly for treatment till she improves more.

People have asked me why the Chiropractic treatments and going to see a physical therapist because it cost so much. for one she is my girl and i will do anything for her, and 2nd we just did not spend thousands of dollars on a knee to not rehab it properly! So we will keep doing what ever we need to do and i will keep you updated as i want others to know the work is not done after surgery that is when the real hard work starts if anyone else here ever has to deal with this.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 11:32 pm

No different then people surgery rehab. My sil had a min pin,17 yrs old who had a stroke and could not walk. She took him about an hour away 3x weekly for water therapy, did all sorts of exercises with him... he got a whole lot of function back, could do a wobbly sort of walk. The only issue... Ami wanted to play husky style with him
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 11:53 pm

She's looking good! How long does she stay on the treadmill? Gotta watch it now, Sierra will be walking in your pond now! Hahaha
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2016 12:53 am

Hey Jennifer! Sierra looks great and good gosh she has the sweetest face, you would never know she dislikes water. That is so cool. And of COURSE you do that, some people just don't understand, except of course husky people. Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Jimmy, she was only in there for about 5-7min this time getting used to it. when we go back next week i think she will be in there longer.
Sierra does have the cutest face which makes it very hard to be mad at her (little brat knows it to)!

Sierra was sore last night, favoring that leg, so i guess it did something. Now to work on her massages and stretches to get that leg strong.

thank you all for the support, this has be the worst thing she (and us) have been through so far.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Jennifer - knowing your dedication and Sierra's spunk, I suspect she will be just about good as new in no time at all.

Do you remember my kitty story from last year? PC came back and would not use her right leg, vet thought there was a foreign body but was loathe to operate due her age. The whole leg and shoulder were completely atrophied. I did my own home brand of physical therapy and massage, stretching it, putting her through range of motion, pressing against the paw to make her push back...it really helped. By this spring, she walked with the barest of limps and was jumping down off window sills, the tractor and back out hunting. So, I suspect, with your commitment to Sierra and a real physical therapy program you'll see results PDQ. And I absolutely understand putting your efforts and cash into her!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 5:07 pm

that is so cool, she has the cutest face in there❤ . glade to hear she is doing better and as good as new soon. Cool
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Wonderful! I love seeing updates about Sierra's recovery.
Keep loving on her...each and every one of us here would be pushing forward for our pups like you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Bodhi and I are glad Sierra has recovered!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Well this morning Sierra tore her other knee Sad i am a wreck right now

looking into options to cover this one, we are not even 3 months out from the last one.....

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Bummer.
Sounds like me.
I did the same think waiting for surgery on my right knee.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm

my good friend set this up for us, just putting it out here. We are still recovering from the last one.

https://www.youcaring.com/kenjenniferbealer-693649

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Ughhhh, I hate to read this, poor Sierra Sad it's probably not helping her recovery either to have the other side go bad. How will that work. Jennifer, will the doctors want to do surgery sooner or later?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 5:18 pm

We are doing surgery on tue. putting it on a credit card. it will better to get it done sooner and "walking" again on the new bad knee then having her hobble around on just 3 legs like she is now.
the PT said having the surgery will force her to use the new knee and make it stronger since she has still been favoring it. we will start PT back up 5 weeks post op which puts us the week before Xmas.
Kens family is coming for Xmas and we are staying in a rental in winter park and i hope she will be ok. our goal all along was to get the first knee healed up before the snow and ice came and now she will have a new bare leg and snow and ice to worry about Sad

we at least know what we are in for this time, and that is also the bad part, we still remember how hard it was those first few weeks.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 7:59 pm

That's what I was curious about, if the new knee was strong enough and they could do the surgery sooner, or would a surgery now give her a bad front end, so to speak, making recovery more difficult. Thanks for taking the time to explain it, I'm really glad she's come far enough along already that surgery is even an option right now. Such a strong little girl.

You know how people wore leg warmers back in the day, I wonder if something like that could be done for Sierra to help with the cold. Material would probly keep moisture in, do maybe from a material like they make surfing wet suits from?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 8:44 pm

I asked about her front legs and those knees, she should be ok as long as we keep up on massaging her shoulder blades down her back and her front chest area during recovery.
she is on pain meds and steroids till surgery.

We had 2 bumps on her head looked at at well as one on Jack's head and my vet looked at me and said how do you find these little things! i told her i really get in there when im petting/massing them! thank god the bumps are of no concern right now.

i was thinking of looking in the toddler area for pants and cutting the crouch area out!

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Haha, that's a great idea! My thoughts were going in the direction of when she has to go outside, and it's icy/snowy and normal cloth getting wet and icy, though she probably will be inside most, if not all, the time so your idea totally works.

I feel for you Jennifer Sad Mishka's two UTI's in two months set me back just cuz it happened at a really bad time (doesn't it always, haha) good news on Mishka today though, I brought in a urine sample yesterday and the vet called today and said she's all good Smile I got grass growing back in the backyard in case playing around in that dirt was causing it so hopefully things turn around. Sierra will get thru this too, she is very well taken care of Wink
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 2:43 pm

So the vet called, Sierra's right knee has some bone spurs that need to be cleaned up but the worst news is that the left knee failed. Her meniscus is torn and the "line" loosened up so we have to redo the left knee Sad we will need a brace for the left knee to keep it strong in the mean time and that is not cheap at all. im besides my self right now, just a crying mess at my desk waiting for the call they are done.

if anyone can help it is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youcaring.com/kenjenniferbealer-693649

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 3:54 pm

This is such crushing news, I'm so sorry this is happening to both you and Sierra. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next