It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Meet up gone bad :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Husky Meet up gone bad :( Empty
PostSubject: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 12:55 am

Well I have been organizing the Colorado meet ups for about a year now and have never had a day like we did today. I will never hold an event at this dog park again. I picked this park for everyone to meet at because it had a separate dog park for SMALL dogs, did not think people with small dogs would not use it and come in with the big dogs instead but they did Sad
We were about 30 min in and were looking at 20+ huskies all ready in the park. I spotted a few owners with small dogs walking into the big park to go into the small dog area; I have no idea why since there was an out side gate to get into the small park with out going in the big park and it was not out of the way or anything. well Sierra spotted a small dog by a table in the middle of the big park and I noticed right way and went over to get between them, the small dog was under the table and I was trying to grab sierra but could not get around the table fast enough and the dog bolted out from the table and sierra chased it and grabbed it. I just could not get to her and sierra chased the dog and they ran into a group of people none of which tried to stop either dog! then up the hill they went this time with at least 10 or so other dogs in chase now of this small dog, just as I was running up sierra was coming down from the chase and she just fell to the ground and on to her back, I freaked out, I don't know what happened to her to make her just drop to the ground so fast. She was panting and just looked out of it. as I was trying to figure out what happened to her one of our rescue members came walking down with his shirt on his face, I had no idea what happened to him... thankfully I had someone go get water for sierra and thank god Sullys new owner the vet was there today, Dr. Miller. She came over to sierra looked her over thought maybe her gums were a bit to white looking and not returning to color fast enough and sierras hind leg was bothering her. There was nothing she saw that screamed something really bad happened so that made me feel somewhat better but imp still really concerned over why she just dropped like that. I canceled my plans tonight and have been home watching her. On our way out to go home I learned from others that the rescue member was bit in the nose by the small dog because he picked it up to get it from all the dogs! here he was trying to help and got bit in the nose bad enough that he has to have special stitches put in. on top of all this mess the lady LEFT with out talking to either of us. Animal control was called on the lady with the small dog for leaving the site of a bite; we just don't have any info on her at all.
Today was such a mess. im torn on what to do with these meet ups and the chance of something like this happing again. I mean its not just sierra there are others that have an issue with small dogs as well.
the things that are going running in my mind right now are, do I not bring sierra to these meet ups, do I get a really long leash to put her on at these events, do I go back and see if we can get privet locations to hold the meet ups.
Should I not worry and do what I have been doing and keep my eye out for small dogs and try better to not let something like this happen. If this dog would have been hurt who was at fought, there is a separate area for small dogs that this lady should have been in. What goes on in a small dog owners mind that they think it is safe to bring there small dog and im talking less than 10lbs dog the ones you could just punt, into a dog park filled with over 30 dogs and most of them huskies?
What a day what a day....

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:56 am

I'm really sorry that this happened, and I hope Sierra is OK.

You've done a wonderful job coordinating and planning these meet ups. It sounds like you feel somewhat responsible for what happened, but I truly feel that the this woman with the small dog wasn't being a responsible dog owner, otherwise, she wouldn't have left without giving any information after her dog bit Shawn's hubby.

I think wherever we go, we'll run into small dogs mixed in with big dogs because most dog parks I've seen typically do not have a seperate area for small and bigger dogs. Also, we husky owners will usually mind our dogs especially if there are small dogs mixed in because we know our huskies tend to have high prey drive. BUT, the other dog owner may not be aware of this, and often times, will let their dog go and not mind them until something happens and because they have the smaller dog, they will usually blame the other dog owner.

I'm not saying this is true for all small dog owners, because there are responsible dog owners out there that have small dogs. In fact, there are big dog owners also out there that DON'T mind their dogs at a dog park...so wherever we go, there is the potential of running into a situation.

I know you're still very freaked out about Sierra, and I really hope she is OK. Please keep Dr. Miller posted.

A report was made against the woman, and we did find out the breed and it was mentioned in the report that they would be taking that small dog to the vet soon for an injury sustained to the leg during this incident. So, if vets within a reasonable mile radius to the dog park were alerted, they MIGHT fing this woman. (Fingers and paws crossed she's found).

I think you should still organize the meet ups and I think Sierra is fine at the meet-ups. But I certainly understand your reservations.

I, for one, really don't mind if we were to find private parks for our meet ups. A couple places that I checked out cost $5, and I think that's per family, not per dog. It would ensure that only our group would be there. And I don't think people would mind paying that...I certainly don't.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 2:14 am

Often times I run into the same problem at the park by us. There are 3 sections to the park. A large dog section, small dog section, and a "training" section (people have unofficially made that into the medium/small dog section.) And regardless there are always people with small dogs brining them into the big dog side. It used to be not much of a 2nd thought for us, but Odin likes to follow these little dogs obsessively and will chase and mouth them on the back. Something that freaks me and the little dogs owners out. I try to ask them to please take their dog to the smaller section for the own dogs safety but i'm always made out to be the bad guy.

Perhaps putting a sign on the big dog side gates stating you are having a Siberian Husky meet up today would help smack some sense into people? Or maybe not... Maybe it would just encourage more people to come in... Not sure. Even though Sierra is known to have issues with smaller dogs I wouldn't place a lot of blame on you Jenn. There are a lot of dogs (regardless of breed) that will chase down a small running dog. Owners of these small dogs need to be able to use common sense and good judgement.

It may be best to have her on a long lead just to prevent another incident.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 am

So sorry to hear that! I really hate it when people bring their small dogs on the big dog side. I've seen it happen at all the dog parks I go to and they all except for one had a small dog side. I would still do the meet ups. And a big sign would probably be a good idea. I think I might make one for our meet ups.

Husky Meet up gone bad :( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 am

We just had a huge sign made and I have hung it at the gate the last 2 meet ups, guess that was still not a good enough warning to people...

I have also in the past walked up to people entering with small dogs to suggest they come back later because of our meet up and for the safty of their dog/s. Some times I'm thanked and others yelled at cause its a public park and they have a right to be there... I'm only trying to help. Don't under stand why a small dog needs to come to a park any ways.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:39 am

jbealer wrote:
We just had a huge sign made and I have hung it at the gate the last 2 meet ups, guess that was still not a good enough warning to people...

I believe she was already there before our sign went up, but regardless, she should have realized that something was planned with all the Huskies showing up. And even before the whole incident, there was already a good amount of Huskies - I'd say at least 15, maybe even 20 - who were all active, playing and chasing other smaller dogs. I guess her light bulb didn't go off saying, 'There are a lot of Huskies today and they seem to be going after and chasing all the smaller dogs in the big dog area'. Oh well, I guess her light bulb is burnt out...

I still don't think you should stop the meet-ups. In the year that you have been organizing the meet-ups, this is the first incident, yes? And the 6 months that I've been going to the meet-ups, Sierra is fine.

jbealer wrote:
...I have also in the past walked up to people entering with small dogs to suggest they come back later because of our meet up and for the safty of their dog/s. Some times I'm thanked and others yelled at cause its a public park and they have a right to be there... I'm only trying to help....

All we can do is just let small dog owners know that we have a meet-up that day. And like you said, 'It is a public place', and WE ALSO have a right to be there!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 pm

So sorry to hear about the events that took place yesterday. How is Sierra doing today?

Unfortunately, EVERY dog park I have ever been to has had people bringing small dogs into the large dog section. It has happened at every single husky meet up I've been in FL. Luckily all of the huskies in our meet up group were okay with small dogs and there was never any incident. My boy is perfectly fine with small dogs...obviously since we have two chihuahuas and guinea pigs!

I will say that the risk you would take on with Sierra for future events like this or worse bothers me. Not because of Sierra's reaction or behavior or the fact that you do have a right to take her to the meet ups on the big dog side, but because of what might happen if she seriously injures (or worse, kills) another dog whether it is the other owners' fault or not for bringing their dog in. I'm coming from the mentality that I wouldn't ever want to see Sierra's life hanging in the balance of a legal battle over dog aggression toward a small dog at a dog park over a simple romp at the dog park...how much is that hour or two of play at the park worth? There are strong arguments to be made on both sides so it really boils down to is it worth it to you and Sierra.

I would honestly see if there is a way to reserve a park for a specified date and time for the husky huddle meet ups if this is going to be an ongoing concern...which it sounds like it is pretty regularly...so that you do not have to worry about small dog owners coming in on your reserved time. Or find people who would be willing to host the meet up at their own fenced in backyard? Several people could even volunteer their yards and take turns hosting even...if that's an option.

I can't say what you should do, I can only say what I would do in your shoes but keep in mind it is just my personal opinion and not a suggestion geared for you. I don't like taking risks like that, especially unnecessary risks that involve life and death. If I had a dog aggressive sibe or a sibe that did not get along with smaller dogs then I would not even set up a chance for that to happen. If small dogs are a risk then I personally wouldn't take it, but that's me and I know a lot of people think differently which I am fine with and respect.

Another idea I think I've mentioned before at some point is keeping Sierra's lead handy so that IF a small dog enters the large dog section you can put Sierra on her lead until it is safe to let her off. I know it stinks to have to do that but better safe than sorry, I think.

I won't go to the dog parks around here because of the irresponsible owners. Recently at one of our local dog parks a 6 week old Lab puppy was brought into the large dog section of the dog park. It was killed by a Rottweiler-pit bull mix. It is stupid and senseless and regardless, a 6 wk old pup should not have been at a dog park in the first place but these crazy things happen...anything can happen at public, unrestricted places. Hence why I avoid dog parks now, we've had too many bad experiences at dog parks for it to be worth it to me anymore. You'll have to use your own judgment.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Jenn I often will have to put Odin on lead when we are at the park because of the small dogs and now he must stay on lead until the dog lake fencing is put up. It's crummy and I hate to do it but I would hate it even more if some stupid little dog (no offence to your little ones, Val!) was the reason my dog was taken away by the county. I think everyone should be very vigilant about letting the little dog owners know as they are entering the big side that you are having a Husky meet up today and it might be a little too much for the little dogs with all these big Huskies running around. That way it makes it come off as if something were to happen it would be an accident (dog getting trampled) rather than making it seem as if one of these dogs was going to agress and injure a small dog. The later is the truth of course, but people seem to be less receptive to that.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm with Val and Kristina. Bring a leash with you always (regular or long lead) and leash Sierra anytime there are small dogs in the park when you arrive. If you KNOW there are no small dogs in the fenced in area, stand by the door and don't leave. That way, if a small dog owner comes into the park, you can warn them and if they insist on still coming in when Sierra is there, ask them if they wouldn't mind waiting until you're able to leash Sierra.

As much as I completely agree that you are not at fault here, Sierra's life isn't worth risking and people are stupid and cruel. I would never want to see harm come to her because another owner doesn't know how to be responsible.

However, that doesn't mean that you should stop planning the meet-ups, stop bringing Sierra or anything of the sort. I would still try to plan the mingles at a place with both a small dog and large dog fenced in area. Advertise it as much as possible, and be on constant surveillance for small dogs so that you can leash her when they are around. To me, it just wouldn't be worth it because I don't trust OTHERS. Sad

You could also ask others that are there to help you keep an eye out. I'm sure Kate, Claudia and Dr. Miller would be happy to keep an extra eye out if you wanna get into the thick of things for a minute Smile

Husky Meet up gone bad :( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Everything you are all saying is what has been on my mind to do. I know she is ok at our park because we don't get small dogs, its during the meet ups at other parks that we have issues. I think next month I will get a long ass lead and start there till I know it is safe. I just hope the lady is found and ticketed for leaving after her dog bit a person.

Sierra seems fine today she is being very clingy with us though. Thanks for offering the suggestions to handel it next time, I was all ready thinking most of them. Don't want to see our baby girl taken away for something that could have been prevented.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm very glad that Sierra is okay. I'm SO sorry that you had to go through this, btw. What a nightmare and I can't imagine what I would do if I watched one of ours collapse like that, especially at Sierra's older age (I know she's still young at heart). Poor girl Sad

Give her extra hugs and kisses from me! Smile

Husky Meet up gone bad :( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Speaking of old gal she is 8 on Tuesday!

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm just in a mood today.

Why the hell did someone try to pick up a dog that was obviously in distress. In everything I've ever learned about dogs you just don't do that. In no way was the small dog responsible for that.

Some people would like to assume that dogs in a dog park are properly socialized and capable of multi-dog interaction. I don't assume this, but I understand the naivety of it. You must understand that to most folks; a dog is a dog is a dog is a dog.

Small dogs need socialization and free time just like any other dog. One time Coco just bared teeth at a 30 pound dog and the owner asked frankly, "why would you put other dogs at risk by bringing her?" We have never been to a dog park since.

Last edited by harrise on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Happy Birthday Sierra!
I'm glad she's OK.
Please drop a quick call to Dr. Miller to let her know how she's doing. I know she'd appreciate an update.

Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Just a thought, all the parks around here have signs right on the gate stating size limits. So perhaps you could add to your current sign or get a second saying something to the effect of "We play ROUGH, size limits strictly enforced" and maybe take turns with some of the other people being a 'gatekeeper' during the meets.
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 pm

So sorry about Sierra! Do you think maybe she pinched a nerve in her back or had a back or leg spasm that caused her to stop, tremble a bit and be stressed/lose color? Or maybe the loss of gum color was just her older body trying to recoup from a really intense run?

As for the gentleman who picked up the small dog--I agree it's not smart, but unless you're the one standing there and you see the small dog is either in danger of being bitten or about to run off and start the whole pack chasing again, there may have been nothing else he could do to put an end to the situation and protect the little dog. The fact the owner of that dog left without saying a word is pretty crummy. Even though she was clearly in the wrong, you're probably lucky she didn't confront and blame you, escalating the situation.

I'm actually about to go to a dog park for the first time ever on Saturday (I know, right?? I normally just walk my dog in a regular park or trail on a leash). I had no idea that there are different size areas for different size dogs. I might have been that clueless owner that walked in with a small dog and didn't read the signs. I have to say, that if I didn't know anything about Huskies, I would never have put two and two together about a Husky Meet Up going on in the area I was about to walk in. Some owners just aren't that informed, and even some that are just might be having a blonde moment. And, lastly, sometimes it's not the owner that is walking the dog. That happened here last year in Maryland--you all probably heard of the incident in MD where a Husky was shot in a dog park by a police officer? The person walking the Husky was the brother of the owner I think. He didn't know the dog all that well I remember, so (of course) when he tried to recall/control Bear (the Husky) he didn't listen. Bear started playing rough with an off duty officer's GSD and the officer drew his gun and killed the dog. Not to go off on a tangent, but just thinking of a frame of reference. That clueless lady might not have even been the dog's owner.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 am

*big hugs* Jenn, this whole situation sucks. I'd be happy to guard the gate at the next meet-up. Don't stop planning these or bringing Sierra. That dumbass_ owner will eventually be found, have faith.
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 10:50 am

I hope Sierra feels better! So sorry for that horrible situation. That situation is always running through my head when at the dog park because on about 4 incidences people have brought in PUPPIES. Reiko is not great with small dogs, and especially puppies, I leave a lead on him but I can't always get to him in time. He has never tried to bite them, but he swats them to the ground and continues to swat at them/ lay on them. It angers me so much that people would bring their puppy where there is a bunch of big dogs playing. One puppy was so young and so scared, it just coward under it's owners legs while trembling, meanwhile Reiko was trying to get to the puppy. The ground was a sheet of ice so I was trying to slip and slide my way there while the owner did nothing! Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Meet up gone bad :(   Husky Meet up gone bad :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Meet up gone bad :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1