It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Training going backward!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

Female Join date : 2016-03-28

training - Training going backward! Empty
PostSubject: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 10:27 pm

What could make a pup who successfully rang a potty bell and didn't have an accident indoors for days suddenly stop using it and peeing indoors again? The only change is we give him more time outdoors snoozing on the enclosed porch or playing with toys while I do housework. (I visit every 15 minutes or so to play or let him into the yard to potty ) of course he has no bell to ring out there. Did we mess up the training?
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 11:56 pm

Zhukov did the exact same thing. He is very non-vocal, so we hung a bell by the back door and he picked up on it right away. After a couple of weeks of me bragging about how smart he was, he suddenly started peeing and pooping inside again. Not in the same places either. Sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes by the front door, sometimes right underneath the dang bell..... To make me feel even more crazy, sometimes he would ring the bell and go outside and pee. Then 20 minutes later.... a huge pool of pee in the living room.

I had him tested for a UTI, because he was peeing ALOT, but it came back normal. I tried limiting his water intake, to no avail. I couldn't figure it out.

Finally, while talking to the dog trainer, I told him the story. He said that it was because he had too much freedom. He told me to start putting Zhukov in the crate atleast 3 times during the day. At random times and for random lengths of time. Lo and behold, the peeing in the house stopped. Now I just have to listen to the big crybaby while he is in the crate.... God, he hates that crate....
Back to top Go down
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 12:16 am

Sounds like a plan, only my husband can't bring himself to force Logan into the crate and make it negative in any way. Tonight he's waiting down stairs for him to get sleepy enough to pretty much put in there already asleep. Logan won't use it as a den, he prefers sleeping against the couch under our legs or just against the couch.
We've tried giving him a Kong smeared with peanut butter, but his attention span is so limited, being a pup I guess, that he doesn't care to work at it besides licking up what's closest to the end. So it doesn't occupy him long.
Back to top Go down
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 12:17 am

I wonder why crating him worked?
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:47 am

I felt the same way as your husband! I was so weak when it came to hearing him with his pitiful whine. I swear, it was like someone was pulling his fur out, one handful at a time when we put him in his crate.

However, it worked. I don't know why, or what the thought process is behind it. The trainer, who spent 2 weeks with Zhukov, said "You give him too much freedom" and that if I followed his instructions, it would work. Voila! Zhukov doesn't pee in the house anymore!
Back to top Go down
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 10:19 am

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if Logan's getting a little spoiled. If he's put in and doesn't feel like sleeping in there, he just walks out and it's another 15 minutes to half hour waiting for him to be "ready." Do we have a spoiled husky?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 11:30 am

You have a spoiled husky, and like a spoiled human child, he will become a big brat if allowed to continue on. I know it's hard to look at those cute faces and crack the whip on the rules but you don't want a brat on your hands that will eventually turn into a tyrant. It's not about making the crate a negative place. You want it to be a positive place with good stuff inside. But you want to set yourself up as the leader of house and what you say goes.

Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 10:33 am

Okay now he's doing something that concerns me. When my husband let him out of his crate during the night to pee he left a trail of urine from the kitchen from 4 feet to the door. How old is a pup before he really controls his bladder- does it randomly let go when it shouldn't have been long enough? Because he does that too... 15 minutes after peeing outside he's done it again inside. I'm sure he needs to be tested for UTI, but my husband (who does all the night trips) thinks it's spite or rebellion. Could it be? We're trying to re-train him on the bell but when I direct him to ring the bell before we go out like before he gets very amped up and barks at me.
Back to top Go down
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 10:34 am

Also we did start crating him during the day, starting with once.
Back to top Go down
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 10:35 am

I should probably point out its my husbands first time with a dog.....
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 10:59 am

Everything you are describing is exactly what happened with me and Zhukov. I had him tested for a UTI, but it came back clean. By the way, if you do get him tested, try to get urine from the first pee of the morning.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training going backward!   training - Training going backward! Empty

Back to top Go down

Training going backward!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1