It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anyone own a leather couch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Anyone own a leather couch? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I wasn't sure how to title this...but my son is moving out soon and I am giving him my couch and I was thinking about buying leather so the dog/cat hairs do not get stuck in the couch like my fabric couch. However, I wasn't sure if there is risk of scratches on the leather. Do any of you husky owners have a leather couch? If so, do you have issues with thier nails scratching it up?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Oo- we're thinking of the same thing. I'd be interested in the responses to this.

I know that some of my good friends have dogs and leather couches. Over time they definitely wear, but it depends on how long you want to get out of them. With regular conditioning every month or two (which I would personally prefer to vacuuming twice a day), I've heard that they hold up well.

I'd appreciate other opinions though Smile Our minds are not made up.

Anyone own a leather couch? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm not much help. I won't ever get a leather couch partially because of the dogs but also partially because I like 'warm' couches and leather always has a cold feel to me...just a personal preference. I do have leather in my car and I hate it due to the traveling we do with the dogs. We have to cover everything to keep their nails off so they don't scratch it. Yes they have been on the leather car seats directly and not seen any damage luckily but we'd rather not risk it. My husky's nails have already scratched the plastic backing on my leather drivers seat which was not covered. Sad Hubby is NOT happy about that. silent

Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Leather is so comfortable!! And it's only cold when you first sit down. Then it's far more comfortable then anything else!

We have Leather interior in our Jeep and I love it! it's great with the dogs. We don't cover it. Our dogs nails are always trimmed, and they have never scratched or damaged the interior in the 6 years we have had leather interior (two different Jeeps though). Mine jump from seat to seat when we are stopped, never a tear or a mark from them. The hair wipes off, its Soooooo nice. I Love it!

My parents have a 150 pound St. Bernard, and have Leather interior in their Jeep, and same story. No tears, no rips, no damage done from the dog.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Wow! I can't take a chance, my husband would kill me if the dogs scratched the leather in my car. My sibe has already put a hole in my husband's cloth car seats and messed up our cloth sofa with his nails. No And I keep his nails nice and trim.

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 pm

I have leather in my SUV as well, but Dakota is great in car rides. He just lays down and sleeps or sits by the window and watches the scenery. Willow has only been in the car a few times and I have crated her cause she doesn't seem to love being in a moving vehicle. Dakota has never scratched the leather, but Williow is the one I'm worried about if I get a leather couch. She likes to use the couch as her pushing off point when she does her crazy eights. Very Happy I can never get the hair completely off my current couch so I am really hoping I can go leather.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 am

We have a leather couch in our TV room and in the entrance room we have 2. They are nice and easy to clean (vacuum.) The only one that has been scratched is the one in the TV room from the stupid cats! lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:33 am

Leather is way easier to clean the hair off obviously - if you keep your dog's nails nice and short (and dremmeling is especially helpful) there shouldn't be any worries.. well, unless you have a pup that likes to tear things apart. My mom's leather couch is 100% free of couches and Koda lays on it every morning while my stepdad reads the paper. My mom is buying my couch for our move and will only get us leather so the hair doesn't ruin it!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 am

Leather it is!! Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 am

I'm a little late to this one, I also have a leather couch. Leather is extremely durable, and very easy to clean. I got my sofa from my mother, who has 4 dogs (at one time 5 dogs) that all have spent their time on it, there is one major scratch on it and a few minor scratches here and there (all just surface scratches, nothing that goes all the way through), but this couch has been around for 13 years so I'm not complaining.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:05 am

My brown micro friber sofa is white with fur right now, even with blankets on it Sad
Leather has crossed my mind but with no ac in the home I don't want to stick to the sofa in the summer!

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 am

jbealer wrote:
My brown micro friber sofa is white with fur right now, even with blankets on it Sad
Leather has crossed my mind but with no ac in the home I don't want to stick to the sofa in the summer!

You could put a cover on it in the summer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 4:53 am

Great thread Smile Me and my boyfriend are in the process of picking out a new sectional this week, and he wanted leather and I wasn't so fond of the idea because I was afraid it would get ripped but this definitely settled it, leather it will be!
Back to top Go down
Jahoda Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Jahoda Husky

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 am

we had a leather couch but it lost the fight as did the screen door Sad
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 am

I'd be more worried about the cats with the leather couch than the dog. I had one and my cat would pick at it at night when I couldn't stop him. He is a shedding machine, so all of his fur would stick into where he "picked" at the couch. It was awful, I wouldn't get leather again if you have a high shedding cat who likes to pick at things lol.
Back to top Go down
sw33t_angel
Puppy
Puppy
sw33t_angel

Female Join date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am

A little late as well, but I have a leather sectional sofa and I got it prior to getting Sora as a puppy- swearing I wasn't going to let her on it.... haha... that lasted like 2 days? Smile

I have a few knicks and scratches as well- but I did have the option to purchase a deep conditioner and sealant on the couch prior to purchasing and it seems to be working well. Plus my couch is a very rich dark brown- which I think tends to show any imperfections less.

For the most part Sora just lounges, but when she gets going strong, she does tend to use it as some sort of a launching pad.... but it has had no damage and she is almost 2.
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I just recently purchased new leather couches. Previously my dogs have ALWAYS been allowed on the couches and we decided when we got the new ones they weren't going to be allowed on them and we have stuck to that. Surprisingly we haven't had any issues with them trying to get on them, they broke to not being allowed very easily, it's like they could smell they were new and sensed it was a nono. I've got 4 dogs and 2 cats in the house and it's lovely to just wipe any hair off with my hand!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm

well we changed our mind and decided against the leather, our kitty likes to clean his claws on couches and I don't even want to know what he would do with a leather one affraid

we decided to go with this one, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69840434
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am

Ohh nice! Did you get it in white? I've always loved white couches, but I can't get one because of my black lab who sheds like a monster Sad
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am

Oh how I love ikea and miss it so much! I want to upgrade to a king bed but have to wait till the fall as that is when the first CO ikea will open! We we moved out here we went to the PA ikea and bought everything and drove it out here, we saved so much money!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 pm

hhmmm...maybe we need to go leather also...?
although, at the moment, Ginger doesn't like our sofas. maybe it's not deep enough...
but we'll keep leather in mind when we're getting ready to upgrade our sofas...

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm

j.gabriel wrote:
Ohh nice! Did you get it in white? I've always loved white couches, but I can't get one because of my black lab who sheds like a monster Sad

no i felt that would end badly Razz we got it in dark gray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a leather couch?   Anyone own a leather couch? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone own a leather couch?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1