It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Play & The "Zoomies"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kenai_MrBear
Newborn
Newborn
Kenai_MrBear

Male Join date : 2015-05-20

Husky Play & The "Zoomies" Empty
PostSubject: Husky Play & The "Zoomies"   Husky Play & The "Zoomies" EmptyWed May 20, 2015 11:02 am

Hello All,

I have a 6 month old Sib named Kenai. We had plenty of puppy parent issues in the past 4 months, but we wouldn't trade him for anything. This is my first post, and I am glad to have found such an awesome community!

We started taking Kenai to dog parks when he was about 4 months old, just to accurately socialize him with other dogs and we never had any real behavioral issues. About 3 weeks ago, he was fixed so we had to take a break from the dog park. He is healed up and ready to go, now, so we decided this week to take him to the dog park. However, we have had more behavior problems with him in the past week than ever before.

Kenai refuses to leave other dogs alone, constantly trying to get them to play with him. Even older dogs that ignore him consistently, he will gnaw at their cheeks and try to body check them around until they acknowledge him. Other owners obviously see their dogs being upset so I have to step in and corral Kenai. When I try to get him to calm down, it is literally impossible. He tries to flip, bite, roll, and do anything you can imagine to escape my grasp to get back to annoying the other dogs.

Kenai is very sweet at home (other than the playful biting, which we're working on), but when he gets into these fits at the dog park, it's like he is a completely different dog and doesn't care what I say or do. We take him for several long walks a day and he loves to sit outside and get the occasional "zoomies" but I have never seen this side of him. I'm afraid he's going to get us kicked out of the dog park. Not for attacking other dogs, but for being so hyped up that he brings the attacks onto himself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Play & The "Zoomies"   Husky Play & The "Zoomies" EmptyWed May 20, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't have any advice...you are describing my son's dog as a pup to a "T" lol! The only solution I found when Archer was too much for Ami was to either bring one or the other inside or tether them both with a bone.

Puppies will be puppies bounce
Back to top Go down
Kenai_MrBear
Newborn
Newborn
Kenai_MrBear

Male Join date : 2015-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Play & The "Zoomies"   Husky Play & The "Zoomies" EmptyWed May 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks for the thought! Yes, I've started taking him out immediately but i'm not sure if he's associating the reasons why we have to leave or not.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Husky Play & The "Zoomies"   Husky Play & The "Zoomies" EmptyWed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm

It sounds like typical husky puppy play, which can be overwhelming and confusing to other dogs (and more importantly, their owners). Huskies have a totally unique play style that can come off as aggressive to those unfamiliar with it.

You are just going to have to learn how to read other people and their dogs. Some dogs will eventually get into it after realizing it's just play and some will become more defensive. Then there's the whole other problem of the super sensitive owner who think "Oh, he's growling at Mr. Fluffypants!" Trust me, you will get good at learning when to just take Kenai to a different area or wait and see if play will happen.

You need to get him to play with other huskies! There is a nationwide group called Husky Huddle Malamute Mingle (H2M2) that has local groups to organize monthly get togethers. Here is a link to the Indiana FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/H2M2.Indiana/ and the nation wide one https://www.facebook.com/groups/183721131803722/

Welcome and good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Play & The "Zoomies"   Husky Play & The "Zoomies" Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Play & The "Zoomies"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1