It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ugh, the food topic.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

Ugh, the food topic. Empty
PostSubject: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 11:08 pm

As I mentioned in another post, Phoenix had her first visit with our vet today. The only issue I was left confused about was diet. I have a friend who owns champion Malamutes and she feeds them a grain free diet.

Phoenix came home on Pro Plan Puppy and I was planning to transition her to a grain free diet and told the vet this. She said how grain free products are all a marketing ploy and the grain free products have to have a higher protein content to make up for the missing carbs. She said that because they are omnivores, they still need a good balance of carbs. She also said that when dogs have food allergies, it is generally in the protein, and not to the corn or wheat. She said Pro Plan is an excellent product and recommends we keep her on it.

I found this interesting (read confusing/conflicting with my beliefs) because the grain free I have chosen is only 24% protein. The vet assistant also told us she has Malamutes and after the vet left, I asked her what food she feeds. She was very careful not to contradict the vet, but did admit that she feeds grain free. Another irony is how the vet had grain free treat bags all over the office. LOL.

I'm kind of on the fence now, because Phoenix had really nice poop when we got her. We did begin the transition to grain free and she had some runny poop the next day, but I think that was more from too many special treats the first day, since her poop went back to normal after we stopped the treats.

I am hoping to get some sage advice from you very kind people. I would like to preface this request by saying that I know there are many different opinions on the issue and I respect you all, no matter how your views may differ from one person to the next. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 3:36 am

Pro Plan is Purina, right?

Were there Purina posters in the office and in the lobby?

There's that at least for food for thought.

I think your thinking on the runny poop is in all likelihood correct in blaming the new treats, as this is so common and happens all the time.

If you are set on grain free and have researched diets and foods and feel good about it then you should do it.

There's a thread on here about them being omnivores vs carnivores if you want to look it up and read it. This is an interesting example of a confusion about "they will eat" vs "they need to eat" especially from a vet.

I won't tell to trust or not trust a vet or what to feed your new puppy or make any claims about what a dog IS, but for sure, you know in your heart what you want to feed your puppy and you should stick to your guns AND question the motives behind any advice given to you about your puppy.

Also for sure, dogs have survived for 15 years on a lot worse than you will ever feed your puppy. Not to mention, there is always room improvement in any diet for dogs as you learn and grow more with your puppy.

We feed Link a raw diet and I was content to find a vet who didn't proselytize or preach or scorn us, but who at worst was just indifferent and accepted our choice for our completely healthy dog. She once said to me "well we have seen complications with raw diets before", to which I replied "more complications than with grain based kibble?" She nodded quietly and conceded.

Win.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:25 pm

My vet has also called the grain free food a useless fad. We were given pro plan when I first got Kenzi. It's a 3 star food according to dogfoodadvisor I think. I switched to grain free anyway and have been happy with it. Kenzi was eating and processing the pro plan fine but going grain free did help with her skin. Her skin is really the only place I saw any difference between the grain free and not.

Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you both, Jeff and Jenn. It was interesting, because I didn't see any Purina ads in the office and the vet made it clear that Purina Puppy Chow is terrible, but Pro Plan is good. She also named off 5 or 6 other brands she recommends. Her main thing was just to seriously discourage us from grain free. I'm just going to stick with my original plan, because we transitioned our other pets to grain free recently and they have done really well with it. If she doesn't seem to be thriving, I will rethink it at that time. I appreciate the advice you both gave and will be sure to check out those other threads.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Our puppies parents were raised on Pro Plan. We were given a small bag of Pro Plan Puppy food when we took him home. Discussing his diet was one of our first things we talked about with his vet and she didn't try to sway us either way, but did tell us she uses the same food for her own dogs, and she raises German Shephards. He's almost 3 now, and has never had any issues with it at all. He has no allergies, and his coat is beautiful. I think Jeff is right, when he says dogs have survived on worse. Go with what you are comfortable with!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 am

Thank you, DJ! That's good to know. I should add that our breeder's dogs have done very well on Pro Plan. I appreciate your input. Smile
Back to top Go down
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I would take the vet's advice with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, in the vet industry a lot of their nutritional training comes from companies like Science Diet and Purina so they tend to be skewed in favor if them when recommending food. In terms of the grain free fade, I guess your vet is partially correct, when it come to the lower quality dog foods out there they usually just replace the rice, corn and wheat with potatoes and sweet potatoes. However the higher quality grain free foods will actually cut down the amount of carbs in favor of a higher meat diet which is, in my opinion, a much better option to feed. Like others have stated on here, you might want to do your own research on validity of your vet saying that dogs are omnivores because there have been a lot of finding recently that show they are in fact much closer to, if not fully, carnivores and do better with a higher or all meat diet. The closest to a non-biased website to do some kibble/raw research that I know of is Dogfoodadvisor.com. I would head over there so you can make an informed decision on what is best for your dog.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Thank you, Josh. I appreciate your input. So much to consider.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am

I've been really happy with Dr. Tim's dry foods. They are five star rated on dogfoodadvisor, and Wolf seems to be doing well on it. Another plus, if you have questions, Dr. Tim himself gives prompt and polite answers.

This is what I feed:
http://www.chewy.com/dog/dr-tims-pursuit-active-dog-formula/dp/52929
Back to top Go down
jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 1:28 pm

When it comes to the topic of grains and veggies, most of the time I see people taken in on the notion that wolves get their grains and vegetables from the stomach of their prey. Anyone who has ever seen a full carcass meal fed can tell you that the stomach, if eaten at all, is shaken clean of its contents. Further more, when did you last see a wild deer getting a hold of enough grains and vegetables to contribute an amount significant enough to have it considered a mainstay of the diet of the carnivore chowing down on it?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 11:40 pm

I don't teust big name companies like Purina, Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, and at this point even Blue Buffalo. If I ever fed kibble again it would be a rotation of Taste of The Wild, Annamaet (grain free), Acana, Orijen, and very few other kibbles.

That being said, we feed raw. It was an easy choice for us and I think the best one we have ever made. Our dogs are healthier, happier, and have more energy (and less poop!).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ugh, the food topic.   Ugh, the food topic. Empty

Back to top Go down

Ugh, the food topic.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1