It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How Long to Potty Train?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tdanielle
Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Female Join date : 2010-12-03

How Long to Potty Train? Empty
PostSubject: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am

I know there's alot of topics on potty training but I was wondering what everyones experience was on how long it took them to potty train their huskies..Scarlet just turned 4 months and we're kind of at a halfway mark..She is getting better at going outside, but she's still pretty frequent on the accidents..I just got a bell for the door to try and help her let us know..so we'll see how that goes..But I was wondering if there was a round about age that the house training starts to stick. thanks ! santa
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 12:47 am

I'd like to know the same thing! Kody is 3 1/2 months and given that he's pretty good with the accidents in the house he still pees in his crate. Not everyday (today he didn't), but he did yesterday. We leave the house at 830am, I come home for lunch between 1245 and 130 and we're back home by 530pm. I try not to let him drink so much water in the morning or when I come home during lunch. Mya, my 4 1/2 yr old, I think took her until she was like 7months or so, but honestly I don't really remember.

Ughhh and the teething..ahh!! LOL
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:08 am

My 10 year old husky was a snap! He got it right away (within 2 weeks), Willow, who is 4 months, is another issue. I've had her for 2 1/2 months and we are still working on it. I would say she has improved tremendously within the last two weeks though. I no longer have to set a timer to take her out. I think the timer helped! It kept her on a schedule...

I am also trying the bell thing since I can't see her go to the door, but she's not gettin it. I think that might be becuase Dakota is very good about letting me know when he needs to go out so I think she just waits for him to tell me so she doesn't bother with the bell. =-)
Back to top Go down
tdanielle
Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Female Join date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:10 am

26nikita wrote:
I think that might be becuase Dakota is very good about letting me know when he needs to go out so I think she just waits for him to tell me so she doesn't bother with the bell. =-)

Thats too cute !

Scarlets pretty good about not going in her crate [ although thats a whole other issue entirely Mad ] Sometimes we'll take her out and she'll go , and then 10 mins later she'll pee right in front of me Sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 4:40 am

Embry was a terror to potty trained, we brought him home at 11 weeks, and he wasn't completely accident free until 10 months. Zoey, on the other hand we brough home at 18 weeks, she was fully potty trained and crate trained Smile and in the 2 weeks we've had her we've had less than a handful of accidents, all my fault for not watching her.

just patience and consistency are the key Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sw33t_angel
Puppy
Puppy
sw33t_angel

Female Join date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 10:56 am

Sora was very good with potty training. I got her at about 9 weeks, and I basically just took her out every two hours, and every time she woke up from a nap and every time she ever ate or drank anything. For the first couple days I would physically pick her up and put her in a spot in the yard. After that I had her follow me and go to the spot on her own. I always told her to "Go potty" and eventually I would just have to open the door and tell her and she would do it. It took her I say less than a week?

Although it did help, because being a teacher, I planned it to get her during Spring Break, so I could devote the time to her. Once I did start back at school, I left her in the crate, and came home to let her out around lunch and then when I'd get home. She has only ever had probably 5 accidents total, and she'll be 2 in March.

She always has a knack for "knocking" the blinds by the door when she has to go out, or she will look at me and bark, or chase her tail like a mad women until I let her out... Crazy Husky!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 pm

sw33t_angel wrote:
I basically just took her out every two hours, and every time she woke up from a nap and every time she ever ate or drank anything. I planned it to get her during Spring Break, so I could devote the time to her. Once I did start back at school, I left her in the crate, and came home to let her out around lunch and then when I'd get home.

I brought Willow home at 8 weeks old and there was no way I could wait 2 hours. It took until this last week (19 weeks of age) before I could wait 2 hours. I also planned her on my 2 week vacation and stuck to a very rigid schedule. I was literally taking her out every half hour and we still had accidents. Crazy thing was, she slept through the night since day one. She even knew that she had to potty the minute I took her outside....she would get right to it, no problems. I think it's like kids, they are all different and if you stay persistent, they will get it in their own time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Long to Potty Train?   How Long to Potty Train? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Long to Potty Train?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1