It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! Empty
PostSubject: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyWed May 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Some pics from Sunday's training session. I bikejor with my dogs daily, and wanted to share the fun and experience with my family, starting with my oldest daughter. I had to rig some of her gear, since it was made for an adult, but it all worked out. We bought her knee and elbow pads just in case she fell (which she didn't!), and got her all geared up and ready to go:

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! 13979276258_010063ec87_c

To show her how it works, I ran alongside Nara and was explaining everything as we did a test run:

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! 14163172402_508cc621fc_c

After one pass, everyone was comfortable enough for a first solo ride:

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! 14142745346_2bbfd32b1c_c

Look at that smile! We continued from this point for another 5.5 miles. All my daughter requested for next time was a longer distance. She loved it. I ran alongside them the whole way. We are also going to swap out dogs for her to ride with, and eventually build up to a 2-dog team or more. I usually take out all 4 dogs for a team run when I bikejor. Earlier Sunday morning I ran the 3 boys and let Nara rest up for her solo run with my daughter.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyWed May 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Fantastic pictures and your daughter is braver than I am (or has better trained dogs and more people around her with experience.) I am not brave enough to bike with my dog with out the springer. I am looking forward to Skijoring but I am counting on the fact that snow is softer than concrete for someone learning. You have very stunning GSD fantastic dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyThu May 15, 2014 4:42 pm

I'll write more when I can, but I see that you're in Idaho like me. Whereabouts?
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyThu May 15, 2014 11:15 pm

I am in Idaho Falls so a few hours away.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyFri May 16, 2014 2:55 pm

I know you shouldn't bike them at all until their growth plates seal. I think this is normally around 2 years of age. I know some people say to wait at least a year. Not sure if you're already biking with your 6 month old Sibe or your 4 year old. Haha!

I've watched videos of dogs on the Springer, and I just have too many issues with it to ever want to use one. Bikejoring with the dog out front is so much more natural and balanced. I like being able to see my dogs without turning my head. In the videos of the Springer, it looks like, if the dog wanted to, it could get caught up in the tires. I've read where people have had dogs that ran around behind their back tire trying to chase something. So if the dog can go behind the tire, what's keeping it from going between or through a tire. Just too dangerous. Plus, the dogs I've watched are leaning to their right, trying to avoid the bike as much as possible. This could cause chaffing from constant rubbing on one side of their body against the harness. So unless you switch them from the right side one day to the left side the next day, it isn't balanced for them. Also, their muscles will build differently on one side of their body compared to the other side of the body, due to the constant leaning and pulling to one side. With the dog out in front of you, there is no leaning to one side, as they naturally pull straight ahead. When I take out multiple dogs, I switch them from side to side, so they alternate left then right every other day.

Anyways, that's just my opinion (not that you asked or it! Haha). Any exercise is better than no exercise, so it's good you're doing something related to huskies pulling and running!

And yeah, you're much braver than I if you plan to Skijor. No brakes when it comes to that! At least on my mountain bike, I have brakes and better control.

But as for my daughter, I was running right up there with Nara the entire time. We did most of the run with my leash connected to Nara's collar like in the 2nd pic. From time to time, when my daughter felt comfortable, she would ask me to remove the leash. We're going to take Beowulf on our next bikejoring run, and then pair up Nara with Beowulf so my daughter can experience 2 dogs pulling her at the same time. Should be fun. My wife will take pics of our daughter with Beowulf and with both, when we make it happen, so I'll post those in here for everyone to see! I can't wait! Little musher in training!!!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyFri May 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Oh, and here's a pic of me with Paw Paw and Beowulf from back when I was a newbie at bikejoring:

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! 466882_3474695118262_1662088709_o
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! EmptyFri May 16, 2014 11:37 pm

I have only biked with my 4 year old pit bull I haven't really started anything with the puppy yet. I see what you mean about the springer its just the best way I can exercise them in the summer without ending up broken. It really does help them not pull you over or drag you into a tree for a squirrel.

I am excited to see the follow up pictures of your daughter with the other dogs. It's fantastic that she has family that can teach her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!   My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD! Empty

Back to top Go down

My 8-year old daughter's first time bikejoring with Nara, our GSD!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1