It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Unhealthy/short haired coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Niko24
Newborn
Newborn

Unhealthy/short haired coat Empty
PostSubject: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat EmptySun May 11, 2014 3:43 am

Hello all

We recently adopted another husky to the family. Let me get right to the chase. Right away we noticed how thin, short, and unhealthy her coat was compared to our other fluffy huskies. Her previous owner were feeding her horrible Walmart brand dog food and so we switched her to wellness core. Her coat is very thin, almost rat-terrier like and very dry n brittle looking. Even other husky owners at the parks notice. My questions are what can we do to fluff her up and get her coat looking the way it should? And also could it just be she is a short-haired husky or maybe possibly a mix with something? I'm on my phone otherwise I'd upload some pics. Any help suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat EmptySun May 11, 2014 5:16 am

Her coat condition could very well due with her crappy diet. How long have you had her? It takes at least a month to see improvement if her coat is really that horrible.

As for supplements, I suggest giving 1000-1500 mg fish oil with omega 3 once a day along with 400mg Vitamin E every other day. Also look into organic unrefined coconut oil. The coconut oil I suggest giving every day or every other day. Start out with about a teaspoon to see how she tolerates it and then up it from there. I give all of these supplements to my dogs and they thrive on it.

Has she been to the vet to rule out a skin or health condition that could be related??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat EmptySun May 11, 2014 8:30 am

Never used this myself but its used by many dog breeders/exhibitors to grow coat on a dog.

Recipe Ingredients:
1 lb. Peanut Butter
1 lb. honey "whipped"
1 lb. Diaglo (powder) or Mirra-Coat
1 pt. Lavitamin also known as Lixotinic or Pet Tinic (You can substitute Linatone for this)

Method:
Have peanut butter at room temperature. Mix all ingredients together. This will be very thick and sticky. Stores indefinitely in refrigerator. Make into balls according to size of the dog.

Small dogs 1-3 teaspoons daily,
Large dogs 1-2 tablespoons daily.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat EmptySun May 11, 2014 8:36 am

Give it time, these things don't change overnight. You can also do a coconut oil wrap to help moisturize and soften the coat. Basically cover the fur in coconut oil, wrap it in a towel or saran wrap to keep it from getting everywhere, let it sit in the coat for 20-30 minutes (if possible!), then thoroughly rinse and wash out the coconut oil with a moisturizing shampoo. This is a quick and easy way to really soften the coat but I can't say if your dogs coat is too far gone for this to help.

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat EmptySun May 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Don't worry and just keep on the path you are on. Coat condition isn't a fast fix, it will likely take a good 6-8 months for the dietary change to start being noticeable in the coat. When we brought Mason and Weaver home, they weren't on a 'cheap crappy' diet...however, they were not on a complete balance diet either. Their coats were dull and wiry. At just about the 6 month mark of them being here on our food they started a massive coat blow, guard hair included...what was coming through was softer, richer in color, and very healthy looking. So be patient it will happen
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat EmptyMon May 12, 2014 11:30 am

It will take several weeks, but you will see a difference! Try putting a tsp of coconut oil on her kibble for every meal. My friends have a Carolina dog mix that had a short rough coat and sheds like crazy. After just a month or two of supplementing with coconut oil and her coat is noticeably softer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unhealthy/short haired coat   Unhealthy/short haired coat Empty

Back to top Go down

Unhealthy/short haired coat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1