It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? Empty
PostSubject: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 am

Everytime I am out and about with my Huskies, I get stopped all the time by people who ooh and aww over them, especially now that I have a puppy. Most of them tell me they want a husky. What do you all feel is the best advice to give? I think back to before I got my first Husky (10 years ago) and if someone told me what i want to tell them, I don't know that I would have gone through with getting my Dakota and let me tell you, I would have truly missed out. I love him to pieces and just recently got a second Husky becuase Dakota has been such a positive influence in my life. But I know the time and energy these dogs deserve are more than what most people want to handle. So I'm just curious what you all tell people when they inquire about getting a husky.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 5:13 am

I tell them straight how it is. I let them know how stubborn and hard headed they are, how they're so smart but won't listen to a thing that will come out of my mouth. I tell them all the damages Embry did to our house as a puppy and how much money it cost us to replace ($3000) Letting them know they pull like crazy and you can't trust them off lead unless the area is fenced. I always end it with, try adopting an older Husky if you decide on that breed, you'll end up with less destruction Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 am

Let's see where to begin. Hair, hair and more hair, high maintenance, lots of energy that requires constant exercise, not an outdoor dog as they need to have the company of their pack, picky eaters with sensitive stomachs, and did I mention the HAIR! If they still have interest I tell them they are a very special breed that once you own one you won't want any other as they are a lifetime of love and entertainment.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Being a first time Husky owner, and dog owner for that matter, I think having knowlegde of the breed makes all the difference. I also think that my experience of rescuing a 3 year old husky, who is past the puppy stage, was also a big plus. But learning about how intelligent, independent and stubborn they can be, but at the same time, loving and loyal once you establish that bond is truly the best. Another important thing, I think, is being asking yourself, 'What personality and traits do I want in a dog?' Their answers to that question will really determine if a Husky is the breed for them.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 pm

26nikita wrote:
Everytime I am out and about with my Huskies, I get stopped all the time by people who ooh and aww over them,

I totally know the feeling! Especially in Miami, that huskies aren't so common. I mean, I've run into several, but when people see Mya they freak. Oooo awwwww soooo cute....look at her eyes...she looks like a wolf (is she a wolf? lol)...and so on. In a 20 minute walk at the park I get stopped I'd say 10 times EVERYDAY! People do always say they want a husky, where I got her, etc. The first thing I say is that she is VERY hyper and that if i don't walk her EVERYDAY she won't let me relax. I tell them that they shed like crazy and pass my hand over her so that they see how much hair floats in the air. I tell them to do some research and and they aren't the breed for everybody, but that they are SO SWEET, great with kids, and that she's my princess =)
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 pm

lol. Oh goodness. Now I feel horrible! There was a couple at the dog park and the guy said he's always wanted a husky, so what's my reply???? "There's one for adoption at Seminole! (the shelter I foster for)." The girl looked very unpleased and yelled at him cause he wouldn't let them get a golden cause he said they shed too much hair! lol. So much for that excuse! But for most people, I usually just tell them huskies are a lot of work and if I know one's in the shelter I'll let them know if they seem like good dog people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Great advice! I never thought to suggest rescueing an older Husky. The one thing I do make sure to mention is no open door ways!! I am so careful when people stop by, that they don't leave the door open, so that is usually my first thought when people ask about the them. Sometimes I worry that I focus too much on the negative, but then after I have walked away, I worry I didn't tell them enough, LOL...
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 pm

26nikita wrote:
The one thing I do make sure to mention is no open door ways!! I am so careful when people stop by, that they don't leave the door open, so that is usually my first thought when people ask about the them.

I'M SO PARANOID ABOUT THE DOOR OPENING! I can't even hear my husband open the door when he's getting home without me literally jumping up to run and make sure she's not at the door. If I'm in the shower, I even go as far as locking her in my room JUST TO MAKE SURE. Is that a bit psycho? LOL
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:42 pm

My son thinks I'm paranoid! Everytime he goes in and out of the door I always tell him to make sure the dogs aren't near the door. I think I sound like a broken record to him...it has been 10 years of reminding him. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 pm

You will continue to do so for the next 10! =0) I'm sure that he knows, but it just makes you feel better to say it. I totally understand!!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 pm

It does make me feel better to say it! But, now that he is a teenager he likes to mess with me. He usually say something like "oops, Dakota got past me!" Ofcourse I come a runnin! Darn teenagers!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Haha...my brother does that to my mom all the time! Tells her one of dogs or cats ran out. She gets so scared! I've told him 100 times that he's going to give her a heart attack one day!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

He tried it at my house with Mya once. Told me she wasn't in yard when I had left him sitting outside with her. I kicked his 6'2 butt with my whole 5'1 inches..LOL
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:03 am

i used to be really paranoid about the door, but now we have a big walkway leading to the front door, so I put an extra tall dog gate in the doorway so he can't get in the hallway unless someone lets him in the gate.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:17 am

If someone says to me that Anubis is so cute and beautiful etc. and that she or he wnats a Husky too I now end up asking what they expect of a dog first. I ask if they expect the obedience of a Shepherd or Golden, if they answer this with yes then I tell them a Husky is no dog for you, you only will be disappointed.
Besides of that most people ar enot willed or able to give a Husky enough exercise When I look around the area here not een all the Shepherds, Labs, mixed breeds etc. get enough.
So I make perfectly clear that a Husky is no couchpotatoe dog. Like others said before a Husky is not a dog for everyone.
I ask them if they want a dog that can definately be off leash on every walk, if the answe ris yes I tell them forget about the Husky. To me this point is the most disappointing aspect of owning a Husky, especially when you have one that has so much fun playing with other dogs and you got to refuse this most of the time.

They gotta be aware of the negative things like not paying attetntion, prey drive etc. If they can look over these things they can think about getting a Husky.
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:56 pm

I tell them 6 words. Do your research before you buy! If they inquire further I tell them where to look for informationa and give them the basic information of needing a fenced in yard with at least a 6 foot fence and I tell them how they need exercised daily and how mischevious they can be if they don't get that exercise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?   What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

What advice to you give to someone asking about owning a Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1