It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Creative Names

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Since I have been a member on this forum I have noticed all of the awesome creative names everyone comes up with for their pups! I love all of them and I just thought it would be a cool discussion to see where everyone came up with the name for their pup and why!

Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Shaqua-

I completely made it up. Put sounds together to make a name that sounded Native American when I was in 4th grade. I was writing a story about a wolf for my Young Authors Conference. Ended up submitting a different story but I loved the name. BTW, it is pronounced "SHUH- KOO-UHH"

Journey-

NO, not the band! LOL. I wanted a name that indicated adventure and exploration because that is what my life is all about and it matches a husky's personality fairly well. Her full name is Polargold's Journey of Colestah (Colestah is a Native American warrior) since her entire litter (all 4 girls) were named after women warriors of history. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Oh! I didn't even know I thought I was the only one who came up with the idea Wink guess not oh well! This can be an updated one! haha!

But,

@Nicole, wow very cool! i still cant pronounce it I'm at my work computer trying to sound it out looking crazy! haha but its still very cool and unique! I love how you came up with Journeys name very beautiful!

@sara do you say bodes name like bode or bo-dee!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Bo-dee. Like Bode Miller, the ski racer (who he is named after). I was a ski racer in high school and grew up watching racing. If we get a girl, I want to name her Picabo, after Picabo Street, who was my idol growing up.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Very cool! I like it! When we get a male I haven't thought much about what we would name him, but I guess it will come to me when I see him like it did for Nala.

Nala's personality is so unique and beautiful and shes gotten me through a lot of the tough times, the meanings of her name are very fitting, also I grew up watching the Lion King so that's originally where i hear of the name, (which is my FAVORITE movie). But, in Swahili it means gift, Nala is also the African name for beloved.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
Bo-dee. Like Bode Miller, the ski racer (who he is named after). I was a ski racer in high school and grew up watching racing. If we get a girl, I want to name her Picabo, after Picabo Street, who was my idol growing up.

OMG I LOVE THIS!!!! My username is wp = Winter Park (the ski area in CO). We went every weekend as a kid and I did club skiing, bumps were my thing. Smile 222 - lucky number.
Back to top Go down
TesiaGolec
Newborn
Newborn

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 am

Hi there! The day I get my dream dog (still waiting, the time HAS to be right, he he) I'm going to name him Songha. Pronounced SUNG-AH. I got the idea from this movie I loved as a child and still love to this day about two tigers who are brothers and get separated. Songha, one of the tigers, is very strong willed and determined, and that is what I know my dog will be like, because he is gonna be a husky after all. :3
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

All the threads I have seen on this are such fun, I love all the names floating around in this forum!

Orion is as most people know the giant huntsman placed in the stars by Zeus according to greek mythology - I was reading out a list of greek names one night and we both liked Orion along with a few others. It wasn't until we were re hashing our list of names one night that we both clicked onto the fact that Orion is also the name of an instrumental piece by Metallica on the Master of Puppets album. That pretty much cinched it for us, Steav is a huge Metallica fan (and a bass player - it was the last piece Metallica did with Cliff Burton)
I knew it fit him when I found myself humming it one day when we were visiting him... his little puppy swagger just suited the music! Still does actually... Smile
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 am

That's awesome! I really like the name Zeus for a boy, too bad my fiances' friend's dog is Zeus! I love the Greek mythology names!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am

Siku- means Ice in Inuit. When we had originally picked him out, he had these pretty blue eyes so we picked the name and thought it was fitting. By the time we picked him up, they had mostly changed to brown but didn't like the second name anymore (Alpine) so we stayed with Siku.

Nikolai: a town in Alaska that the Iditarod stops at. One night we were laying in bed with Siku watching the old episodes of the Iditarod on Netflix and we knew eventually that we wanted a white husky, and they had mentioned the town Nikolai, and we both just looked at each other and new that would be whatever white husky we gots name.

If I get a third, I would love it to be a red named Rohn.
Back to top Go down
ZoéQ
Newborn
Newborn
ZoéQ

Female Join date : 2014-03-30

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 am

Shylo (pronounced Shy + loo, short "oo" sound)

Not really an uncommon name, but it fit perfectly for my pup.

I prayed for a husky for a very long time. Asking for the perfect fit for me. I trusted that when the time was right, I'd find the right one. When I saw her face, I knew my prayer was answered. She was marked like I asked and something just clicked.

Shylo = His gift, a prayer heard, peace. Some of the meanings that was the deciding factor for me.

Guess to some it may seem silly, but it works for me Razz
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Ami (pronounced AH mee) had his name when we adopted him.  I thought it bad form to change his name since he was a year old already but in retrospect, I really don't think he knew his name.  I researched his name - it is Japanese for beautiful, French for friend and Hebrew for member of the tribe.  I'm guessing, based on the history of his ownership that it is for an Israeli tatoo artist featured on one of the reality shows...since we are Jewish, I thought a Hebrew name was fitting - though not exactly into tatoos, not averse either.  

However, since my name is Amy, it seems a little self-indulgent and I have to explain to people his name choice had nothing to do with my name.  Perhaps a better name would have been "Butterscotch Sundae" - he's caramel colored on top and cream on bottom with a fluff of whipped cream on his back and sweet as can be! Laughing
Back to top Go down
ICRedz
Puppy
Puppy
ICRedz

Female Join date : 2013-11-23

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 pm

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I've always wanted to name our potential dog after something chemistry-y or medical. Well, we decided we wanted a red husky (which kicked out the Latin name for silver: Argentum), and I was leaning toward Cuprum ("Coop" for short). My husband was less-than-impressed, so I started looking at medical terms (Pheomelanin=responsible for red pigment), with roughly the same result. We opted to look through a list of Greek names, and we were torn between Artemis and Achilles. We weren't as sure about Artemis given that it's typically a female name (barring Artemis Fowl). I also threw a ton of X-men names at my husband, which he found funny, but we ultimately decided against. So, we stuck with Achilles and it's worked out pretty well. It's also the name of a tendon, so I sort of got the medical name I wanted. Razz (Not to mention, he's our little weakness...poor pun, I know.)

His name has also spun off so many nicknames, that it's ridiculous: Killy, Kill, Killy Kill (combine the first two) Kill-i-monjaro, Kila (think Gila) Monster, Triple Kill (yay video games), A-killa the Hun, etc.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 pm

ICRedz wrote:
I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I've always wanted to name our potential dog after something chemistry-y or medical. Well, we decided we wanted a red husky (which kicked out the Latin name for silver: Argentum), and I was leaning toward Cuprum ("Coop" for short). My husband was less-than-impressed, so I started looking at medical terms (Pheomelanin=responsible for red pigment), with roughly the same result. We opted to look through a list of Greek names, and we were torn between Artemis and Achilles. We weren't as sure about Artemis given that it's typically a female name (barring Artemis Fowl). I also threw a ton of X-men names at my husband, which he found funny, but we ultimately decided against. So, we stuck with Achilles and it's worked out pretty well. It's also the name of a tendon, so I sort of got the medical name I wanted. Razz(Not to mention, he's our little weakness...poor pun, I know.)

His name has also spun off so many nicknames, that it's ridiculous: Killy, Kill, Killy Kill (combine the first two) Kill-i-monjaro, Kila (think Gila) Monster, Triple Kill (yay video games), A-killa the Hun, etc.

Could have named him Hemoglobin and called him Hemi  or Corpuscle...

PS: I like Achilles better Laughing 
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Kaikoura

My fiancee and I met in New Zealand back in 2006, so we wanted to name our husky after something that meant a lot to both of us. Kaikoura is a town and an island in New Zealand and we loved the name. We actually met in Auckland, but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it Smile
Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Ajax-I love Greek mythology and wanted a strong name. Arguably the second greatest greek hero by strength and skill next to Achilles, so I thought it fit. Now that he's grown up he's more of a Nemo, as in Finding Nemo....haha

Next male husky will be Atlas.
Back to top Go down
FURAI
Newborn
Newborn

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 am

Furai The sound of the wind in japanese.

I pronounce it Fuh Rye

This car.
Creative Names Mazda-furai-03
once i get a custom harness I'm using this font on a badge I'll have made up.
Creative Names Mazda-furai-concept-headlight-photo-192452-s-520x318
Creative Names Mazda_furai_logo

I almost went with the name blade.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:29 pm

i have never heard of Furai that's very different when i first seen the car i thought it was farari haha!

& like i said i love the greek mythology names!! Atlas is one of my favorites i met a husky pup over the weekend whose name was Hercules!

I've got a little bit of time to pick out the male name for our next pup i cant wait there are so many to choose from!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Creative Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Names   Creative Names Empty

Back to top Go down

Creative Names

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1