It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

nervous about microchipping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

nervous about microchipping Empty
PostSubject: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Finally got around to scheduling an appointment for Kylah to get microchipped. Im a little nervous about this. Im not really sure what to expect. Is there anything I should be aware of?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:49 pm

I can't think of anything you should be aware of other than crying on the part of your husky, most likely. The chip is about the size of a piece of rice, but that doesn't stop them from being insanely dramatic! Its quick, and is just like the vet giving them their yearly shots.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Don't be worried. It will probably be a little painful for the dog, but it's a very quick procedure with little to no recovery time needed. Layla was microchipped at eight weeks by her breeder. The breeder showed me the needle and it is pretty thick as far as needles go, but overall it's a very routine, basic shot and Kylah should be totally fine after getting it. Just think how having this done could save her life down the road if, God forbid, she gets loose and is picked up by a stranger or animal control. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah, she probably won't even feel it. It won't be any worse than a normal shot. Just have it scanned every once in a while to make sure its still working or hasn't migrated. Diz got his at about 12 weeks. I haven't had it checked since, but will this summer just to make sure we're still in business.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:27 pm

I wouldn't worry. It's so routine at this point. Bode got his when he was out for his neuter, so I don't know how big the needle is.

Jen, that's a good suggestion to get it checked. I will have them do that next time we're at the vet.
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks guys, im still a new husky mom so im a bit of a worry wart. After she slipped her collar and had me chase her through the neighborhood yesterday, I knew I had already waited too long.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Do it, its such a relief. I had my two done at the same time, the little one didnt even flinch, the big girl whined and cried, but its a huge help since Ripley is an escape artist. I am always afraid she'll get out one day and we wont be able to catch her, but at least if someone else gets her, they'll be able to send her home.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 4:45 pm

It is slightly different with the annual shot and the microchipped. The size of the needle of microchipped is larger than the annual one.
Anyways, to do it better than not do it, just in case it get lost.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 pm

My first husky mix was over dramatic about it and let the entire vet office know it was done very loudly but was perfectly fine. Jasper yelped like a little girl and Bella freaked out a bit but we didn't go to a familiar vet we got ours done free at a dog event.
Back to top Go down
jeanne67
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyTue May 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Anytime Mali has to have anything done surgery wise I get nervous-so I understand your concerns. That being said-microchipping ur husky is CRITICAL. our beloved breed RUNS AND RUNS AND RUNS. The microchip plus updated tags/license increase the chance that when/if they run-they will be returned to us. Mali was a little grumpy afterwards, and tender on her shoulder for a few hours. Next day she was FINE.
Back to top Go down
AddieRN80
Newborn
Newborn
AddieRN80

Female Join date : 2014-03-19

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyTue May 20, 2014 11:40 pm

I get mine done Friday. I was against it at first but I talked with a tech/groomer at the vet's office and it helped. We were considering tattoo but after the talk, my husband and I changed our mind. Microchip honestly seems to be the better way to go. Everything is going computers now days.
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping EmptyWed May 21, 2014 6:24 am

We got her micro chipped about a month ago and im really glad we did.
My parents got their dog tattooed, and after watching that, I would NEVER put a dog through that. I think that microchipping is a way less traumatic experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nervous about microchipping   nervous about microchipping Empty

Back to top Go down

nervous about microchipping

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1