It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm Empty
PostSubject: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 am

Hello everyone,

Know this have been repeat million times in the forum.

Holistic prevention for Flea, Tick and Lungworm; tapeworm & roundworm

I aware of that for Flea + Tick are recommended to use following essential oil:
Rose Geranium
Tea Tree
Peppermint
Lemongrass
Lavender
Cedarwood

But how about lungworm?

Also those internal worms what should be use apart from Garlic powder for tapeworm? Or that isn't any as effective as wormer tablet?

Thank you for your time =)
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am

You can feed diatomaceous earth. There is a scale of how much to feed per lb of your dog. It acts as a natural wormer. But I am pretty sure only those intestinal worms. I'm on my phone so I can't really add much more info.

capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 11:27 am

Yep, DE is for intestinal worms or adult worms that are already in the GI tract. I don't believe it works for heartworm, though, so you should still be giving a heartworm pill each month.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 1:46 pm

simplify wrote:
You can feed diatomaceous earth.  There is a scale of how much to feed per lb of your dog.  It acts as a natural wormer. But I am pretty sure only those intestinal worms. I'm on my phone so I can't really add much more info.

He he, geology nerd time. Diatomaceous earth is a type of soft sedimentary "rock". It's actually made of diatoms, these little creatures that create silica shells. You could say that when you are ingesting this you are ingesting quartz crystals... it is pretty much the same thing, except it is amorphous, meaning it has water added to the molecular structure. (Si02* n H20)
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Thank you for all reply so far, so far my understanding is diatomaceous earth is for internal and external use for tapeworms, whipworm, hock worms; and external use for flea and tick.
Consume the designed dosage everyday over 30 days periods when takes internal, and would take 7 days to kick in it. But how long to repeat a cycle?

How about lungworm, and roundworms? What to use with that?
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm

DE should work on roundworms. They're pretty common but after around a year of age or so dogs' bodies don't allow worms to mature to adulthood so the eggs just lie dormant in the dog's body and are sometimes eliminated in the dog's poop. That's how they're transmitted to young puppies oftentimes, when a puppy sniffs or ingests infested feces. Or, when a bitch becomes pregnant, the worm eggs are activated and can be transmitted to the pups. This is how newborn pups often end up with roundworms. Usually you give a puppy that young a dewormer such as Strongid.

Anyway, DE should work on adult worms in the dog's system. For the eggs lying dormant in the dog's body there is no way to get rid of them other than the dog naturally eliminating them.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:

simplify wrote:
You can feed diatomaceous earth.  There is a scale of how much to feed per lb of your dog.  It acts as a natural wormer. But I am pretty sure only those intestinal worms. I'm on my phone so I can't really add much more info.

He he, geology nerd time. Diatomaceous earth is a type of soft sedimentary "rock". It's actually made of diatoms, these little creatures that create silica shells. You could say that when you are ingesting this you are ingesting quartz crystals... it is pretty much the same thing, except it is amorphous, meaning it has water added to the molecular structure. (Si02* n H20)
This was cool to know, does anyone know why it gets rid of worms?
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Basically the microscopic dead organisms are so tiny and sharp that they literally cut the worms (or fleas and ticks if applied externally) to pieces. They will cut anything with an exoskeleton or anything with a soft body like worms if ingested. Humans can even eat DE and use it around the home to treat for all kinds of pests with an exoskeleton.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:47 pm

The other cool thing is the organisms are also tiny enough that if you were to rub it on your fingers or if it went through your own GI tract it wouldn't cause you any harm.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Anyone can kindly tell me how to use DE, as in term of how many days? or is this treat like daily intakes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm   Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm Empty

Back to top Go down

Lungworm, roundworm, tapeworm

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1