It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puzzle Toys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Female Join date : 2013-06-03

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm trying to find some type of toy to mentally stimulate Jasper and keep him from getting bored on days where it's horrible weather or when he's left alone. I've tried a Kong and Nylabones and he hates both, I've decided he hates chewing on rubber because if I stuff a hollow  femur bone he goes nuts for it (weird dog lol). However he loves batting his antlers/bones across the floor and chasing them and trying to get them when they slide under furniture so I'm thinking he'd like a type of puzzle toy since he wouldn't actually be chewing on the rubber like in a Kong.

As of right now, I'm debating between a puzzle toy similar in concept to this one Puzzle Toys PPETS-13541853_alternate1_dt

a Kong wobbler
Puzzle Toys PPETS-6868534t300x300

or a treat dispensing ball similar to this one
Puzzle Toys Tricky-Treat-Ball-Large1

I'm open to any more suggestions anyone else may have Smile
I'm leaning towards a Kong wobbler so if anyone has had any experience with this I'd love your input!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 pm

I have the Kong Wobbler, and the orange ball and I like them both. If you are going to be doing a real puzzle toy, then look for one that really hard. Because I've bought puzzle toy after puzzle toy, that I think is going to be pretty difficult and they figure it out so fast its a waste of money. So if possible don't buy the cheap puzzle toys and go for the more complex expensive ones because it will save you money in the long run, because they are way to smart!

Oh, and I do like the wobbler better than the ball because for convenience reasons its easier to get the food out of the wobbler!

Last edited by siku&nikolai on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I have the first one and the last one there, and have seen the wobbler used at our store.
My opinions/experience with them:

The puzzle is a cool idea, only really takes them a second and once they have it figured out they can do it pretty quick. Some dogs also just grab and shake it haha. Korra did it properly a few times, but then chewed the doors (and ONLY the doors/hinges on it)..I think so I couldn't close them and it made the game way easier for her. (She has also gotten her cone off before and chewed and spit out the little plastic clips so I couldn't secure it. The rest was untouched, smartass.)

The Wobbler is nice as a slow feeder but, again once they have it figured out that's that.

Same with the ball.

One thing I will say is it's really good to switch it up so they don't get stuck in the mindset of only rolling/lifting panels/batting things to get treats. This happened to Korra when se was little because I only owned the omega ball.

Hope that helps a little, on my phone so sorry for any possible typos.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Also, just my opinion on the really fancy expensive puzzle balls, some may disagree. Don't waste the cash for the stupid price of plastic. Yes, some dogs will really work at it. With huskies I've found that, like the cheap ones they remember how to work it as soon as they do it once. OR, especially with my little one, if it's too hard they get frustrated and will just leave it (or restort to the lab tactic or shaking all the pieces off).
Back to top Go down
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for your input!
Yeah that's what I was thinking about anything extremely hard because I've seen him just destroy toys to get the squeakers out. But then again I don't think I'll get anything too easy cause he is a husky and we al l know how quickly the figure things out haha!
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 am

I'd agree with all the comments here.  The puzzles are far too easy.  The wobblers work great as slow food dispensers.  You can get some better use by adding a treat that barely fits out the hole so they really have to work at it.

One addition to the list is this
Puzzle Toys Tab_17024
I usually fold up a rawhide and jam it inside the ball.  It makes the rawhides last 3-4 times longer.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 am

ChillyBeach wrote:
I'd agree with all the comments here.  The puzzles are far too easy.  The wobblers work great as slow food dispensers.  You can get some better use by adding a treat that barely fits out the hole so they really have to work at it.

One addition to the list is this
Puzzle Toys Tab_17024
I usually fold up a rawhide and jam it inside the ball.  It makes the rawhides last 3-4 times longer.
I think I also saw something like this on pPntrest, where they would put scraps of fleece frabric or a t-shirt (if your dog doesn't eat that of course) and would stuff a bunch of strips into the ball with super yummy treats inside and they have to find them all while taking the strips out or something like that. I haven't tried it yet, because I would only be able to do it with one dog, but it seems like that could be exhausting for them.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 am

I've been eyeing this one on Amazon for a while now. Not sure how difficult it would be but it looks relatively challenging, and Layla's still a puppy so it might take her a little longer to get it ... or not, since she's shown she is pretty smart already! What does everyone else think?
Ethical Pet Seek-a-Treat Shuffle Bone Puzzle

This one also looks somewhat challenging ...
Ethical Pet Seek-a-Treat Flip 'n' Flap Dog Puzzle
Back to top Go down
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Gotta love pinterest, so many good doggy ideas!

ChillyBeach wrote:

I've never considered stuffing a hollow ball like that. I've been stuck on the idea that it has to be kibble or small treats, but that would definitely work for Jasper since he loves rawhide more than anything and it gets sticky when wet so I'm betting it'll be even harder to get out.
Back to top Go down
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 pm

capellalayla wrote:
I've been eyeing this one on Amazon for a while now. Not sure how difficult it would be but it looks relatively challenging, and Layla's still a puppy so it might take her a little longer to get it ... or not, since she's shown she is pretty smart already! What does everyone else think?
Ethical Pet Seek-a-Treat Shuffle Bone Puzzle

This one also looks somewhat challenging ...
Ethical Pet Seek-a-Treat Flip 'n' Flap Dog Puzzle
I haven't bought any puzzle toys yet, but just from looking at the pics I'd say go with the second one. Huskies are super smart and even as a puppy I think they'd figure out the first one easy.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 3:17 pm

I have a feeling Layla may find the Flip 'n' Flap Dog Puzzle toy under our Christmas tree or in her stocking this year ... Wink
Back to top Go down
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 pm

capellalayla wrote:
I have a feeling Layla may find the Flip 'n' Flap Dog Puzzle toy under our Christmas tree or in her stocking this year ... Wink
I'm too impatient to see him play to wait til christmas lol! 

Also I wanted to update in case anyone else has this dilemma and comes across this thread, I bought the Kong Wobbler today and after about 20 minutes of trying to chew his way through the thing it's a huge hit. He just spent and hour batting it around getting his supper out and now he's pooped. Best toy investment yet I believe Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Wobblers are fun. I have a regular small Kong and usually have it in the freezer filled with a mixture of Layla's regular dry food, hot dog pieces and Red Barn and peanut butter covering each end. It usually lasts a good 30 to 40 minutes before she either gets tired of it or has licked it clean. Today she did the latter! Razz

Glad to hear the Kong Wobbler is such a hit for you!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 pm

I have the hollee roller ball, and will put a bully stick or himalyan through it which keeps her occupied for a little bit. I also have this ball that I will sometimes put her dinner in that works pretty well for occupying her.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:19 pm

nichole.1990 wrote:

capellalayla wrote:
I'm too impatient to see him play to wait til christmas lol! 

Also I wanted to update in case anyone else has this dilemma and comes across this thread, I bought the Kong Wobbler today and after about 20 minutes of trying to chew his way through the thing it's a huge hit. He just spent and hour batting it around getting his supper out and now he's pooped. Best toy investment yet I believe Very Happy 
If you haven't been already, or have a fast eater. Put him meals in the wobbler. That way it prolongs dinner, and it tires them out! We do dinner a lot of the times, so it takes some of his evening energy out of him.
Back to top Go down
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely try tonight
Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I've had all 3, and here are my opinions.

1. Jax figured out it would be much faster to pick up the entire toy and flip it over to get everything out. Fail. 0/10
2. The wobbler worked really well for about a month, but he figured out he could bite at the opening to enlarge it. Food came out much quicker. 5/10
3. The ball works pretty well. He's got it down to about 20 minutes of rolling it around constantly before all of the kibble is out. Only pain is getting the food into the thing. 6/10

I've got several more, and but they dont last or work too well. This will be my next big purchase i think.
http://www.nina-ottosson.com/MixMax-Puzzle-for-dogs.php
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Wow, I would be worried about me being smart enough to get the food in it much less Kenzi being able to get it out. I would love to get her some puzzles, but she has no patience to actually fool with something that might take her more than a few minutes. She just walks off if it's too hard. Quitter.

Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:07 pm

LittleHouse wrote:
I've had all 3, and here are my opinions.

1. Jax figured out it would be much faster to pick up the entire toy and flip it over to get everything out. Fail. 0/10
2. The wobbler worked really well for about a month, but he figured out he could bite at the opening to enlarge it.  Food came out much quicker. 5/10
3. The ball works pretty well.  He's got it down to about 20 minutes of rolling it around constantly before all of the kibble is out.  Only pain is getting the food into the thing. 6/10

I've got several more, and but they dont last or work too well.  This will be my next big purchase i think.
http://www.nina-ottosson.com/MixMax-Puzzle-for-dogs.php
Yeah we tried the puzzle after, and like you said he just flipped the whole thing to get the food out haha. Wobbler has been going good so far, he's figured it out but it still usually takes him a half hour to get all the kibble out.
Back to top Go down
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I have the Kong Wobbler. It took him about 40 minutes to figure it out, he just smacks it around with his paw. It really only works for his kibble, anything larger than that gets stuck.

I'm looking into getting the Kong Satellite for his Christmas present, I read a lot of reviews and everybody seems to like how difficult (and durable) it is.

Puzzle Toys Satellite-700x700

I guess, if you wanted to make it harder for your dog, you can paint or put something over the transparent top so they can't see the treats moving around inside.
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

Female Join date : 2013-10-20

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 pm

i bought the treat wheel today. my puppy eats really really fast and i decided to go ahead and instead of buying the slow feeder bowl i would just feed her out of a treat puzzle thingy. i'm sure she'll figure it out fast but it'll slow her down a little bit while eating hopefully so she doesn't get bloat or something Smile can't wait to use it at her next meal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puzzle Toys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Toys   Puzzle Toys Empty

Back to top Go down

Puzzle Toys

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1