It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Akitas as sled dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

Akitas as sled dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 7:05 pm

I really like Akitas and would consider getting one in the future after doing more research. I wonder if they make good sled dogs? And I don't mean for racing/competition, but for recreation. After converting my search & rescue German Shepherd into a dog who "made the cut" and joined my bikejoring dog team after losing nearly 10 lbs and exercising her tail off, I have faith I could get an Akita to be on our dog team. I know just about any breed can do the dog-powered sports, and I can't wait to be able to afford one of the Diggler dog scooters or a cart. It just seems like Akitas and Sibes are so closely related in looks and body type. Does anyone have any experience with this breed? I've read they are supposed to be a little aggressive, but so is my Paw Paw. Ha! If I can handle him, I can handle any Akita. Hachiko has SO melted my heart.

Last edited by counter on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Akitas are more for guard duty that sled pulling. I have never heard of Akitas being used for sled pulling.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm

German Shepherds aren't normally used for sled pulling either, but my GSD is able to keep up and does a decent job (for a girl! haha). I'm wondering how good an Akita would do, as they are big and strong and look built to pull sleds like a Sibe or freight like a Mal. Thanks for the reply though!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 3:26 am

Akitas are big dogs, but there's no doubt a healthy dog could do it if they had the drive. My uncle has had 3 Akitas which I've grown up around. They can be very stubborn and strong willed...and physically quite strong. They are beautiful but very different from huskies and not quite what I personally look for in a dog...which is why I opted for a sibe over the other northern spitz breeds. Due to their size joint problems can be an issue which is why going for one from a good breeder is really important if you opt not to rescue.

My uncles first Akita had to be put down because of a "bite history". His dog never actually bit out of aggression but twice sent their daughter to the hospital when she tried to take food from the girls mouth. It was unfortunate because she was such a sweet dog but they were facing child services threatening to take their children due to an unsafe living environment and no shelter or rescue would take the dog due to it's bite history. That dog had a problem with one of her knees that forced her to turn her foot out when walking which could have been an impediment to working in harness.

Their second Akita was a huge beast of a dog that died of cancer at a young age. I don't think that dog even made it to 5 years old. He may have done okay in harness if they'd ever tried it, but we'll never know.

Their third and current Akita is also a humongous beast and has had bad arthritis since he was about a year old which I consider a puppy for that breed. He also would not be a good candidate for running in harness due to his joint issues.

They are big and strong to fight bears if I'm not mistaken, not really designed for pulling sleds.

Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I found a local Akita breeder near me. I'm going to go visit her and meet her dogs and learn more about the breed.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 pm

I have 2 female akitas, one living with me and one living with my parents ( they can not be together due to bitch fights). I also have 3 male huskies.
Izzy, my akita, does have a harness and has went with the boys, but it is not something she loves like the boys do. she does it because it makes us (me and my husband) and well, with another dog pulling, she doesn't have much of a choice. She is more into a jog here and there, otherwise, she likes to take her time, sniff and track everything. they are not bred to pull sleds, they were bred to track. Yes they can and will if asked, and I do know there is a team of akitas that does some sled work, but in general, its not a breed I would think of. Also their endurance is very different than your german shepherd who is bred to work sheep and constantly move and way different than huskies.
I also, would not recommend one if you already have a dog with aggression issues. Akitas don't back down and from my experience, once having a bad experience with a dog, its a life long attempt to make them tolerate each other. Even with living with my boys, so roughly almost 6 years since Koozie, we have had a few incidents with Izzy going after one of the boys. Once even leading to an emergency vet visit with over 20 puncture wounds to Keno ( this happen when we weren't home and someone was trying to break in and Keno was in the wrong place at the wrong time)
Huskies and akitas do have some similarities in looks, but as for actual temperment and personalities, I find them very different. Training and working wise as well. the huskies were bred to run and pull and are very happy go lucky and happy dogs. akitas were not, they were bred to think on their own and are usually very reserved.
Back to top Go down
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 am

Akitas (I'm assuming you're looking for American Akita not the Japanese Akita) aren't generally as outdoorsy as huskies, and are the least outdoorsy of the 6 nihonken. Like the Shiba, the Akita is a breed that is no longer being used for their original purpose, which was hunting. In their native country of Japan, and around the rest of the world, the Akitas main "job" has been in the show ring followed by being a companion.

You probably could get one to mush, but don't be surprised if the Akita doesn't show as much enthusiasm for it as a husky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Akitas as sled dogs?   Akitas as sled dogs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Akitas as sled dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1