It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) Empty
PostSubject: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Two weeks ago we received a call from doggy daycare that Kai has puppy warts. We took her to the vet and sure enough, one was found inside of her mouth. There's only one and it's very small, but it's tough because Kai is so used to playing with other dogs and saying hi. She's actually pretty upset because we have to avoid every dog we see.

Does anyone have experience with puppy warts? How long did they take to go away on their own? It's been 2 weeks, and there is still only the one. We were hoping to go to a dog festival on Saturday, but if it's still there, our plans will have to change. I just want to gauge how long it took for other dogs' warts to go away.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Zoe got one in the corner of her mouth.. look here for pictures

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t11234-should-i-be-concerned-can-anyone-identify-this

It's been about a month maybe a little more and it seems to be going away. You can go to the vet and have them removed if you want.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Well, Dizzy's daycare called and he has puppy warts now. Sigh, so Pat has to go pick him up right away, and he can't go back for at least two weeks! Sad It also happens that Pat is leaving on a 2 week trip to europe tomorrow! Aahhh! So now its a last minute scramble to find a dog walker I like and trust.
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:30 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Well, Dizzy's daycare called and he has puppy warts now. Sigh, so Pat has to go pick him up right away, and he can't go back for at least two weeks! :(It also happens that Pat is leaving on a 2 week trip to europe tomorrow! Aahhh! So now its a last minute scramble to find a dog walker I like and trust.
Aww, sorry to hear that! Kai's warts are just about gone now. Once they start to disappear they go rapidly. The most frustrating part is that there is no medicine or antibiotics to give, just time, though we did give her dental chews to boost her immune system.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Wow, that took quite a while. He's going to be so upset he can't play with other dogs for that long. Sad
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Yeah it took longer than expected (8 weeks tomorrow). It started with a very small wart in her mouth. That one grew to be the largest and about 5-10 more popped up inside of her mouth. She definitely hated not being able to play with other dogs, that was the hardest part.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Well, I guess this will give me a chance to work on his fixation issues with other dogs...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 pm

One other question, can it transfer it to other parts of his body? Being a teen male, he's rather fascinated with licking his genitals and I really don't want to deal with a wart transfer... Not that it matters at this point since I'm sure he's already done that.
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 4:45 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
One other question, can it transfer it to other parts of his body? Being a teen male, he's rather fascinated with licking his genitals and I really don't want to deal with a wart transfer... Not that it matters at this point since I'm sure he's already done that.
From everything I've read, most likely not. Most cases of puppy warts affect the inside of the dog's mouth and/or the exterior of the dog's face. We were lucky with Kai in that she only got warts inside of her mouth and they were never large enough to cause discomfort while eating.

In rare cases, they can spread past the face/mouth area.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Okay great. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Canine pappilloma virus can't spread to other parts of their bodies. They are oral virus; they cannot spread to humans but can be spread to other canine companions. CPV are not limited to only puppies as older dogs are also prone to CPV or adult dogs with compromised immune systems. They will start one or just a couple, however, can spread and multiply quickly. Vets can prescribe azithromycin to help shrink and dry up the warts faster and make then go away in about 10 days, but left untreated, will go away anywhere between 6-8 weeks. Some vets may want to surgically remove warts that are larger, but most vets will just prescribe a 10-day z-pack (azithromycin).

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Nicky had them and boy did they grow fast and get huge! I had hers surgically removed. It left a tiny scar and thankfully no more popped up after they were removed! They are nasty looking suckers!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 am

Claudia, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Kelly I hope I don't have to do that with him. He just had one tiny little one about the size of a pencil tip on his lip last night. It was slightly bigger this morning. Hopefully they will pass soon!
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Gus had these too. At first, just one on his lip. Then a second showed up on his gums (very small). When we had him neutered, the vet noticed them and just removed them. They haven't reappeared, so hopefully that's the end of that for us!

And i totally understand your stress of not being able to go to daycare anymore! That happened with us when Gus had giardia! Luckily, our daycare also has dog walking services so i was just dealing with the same people. But the lack of exercise was really stressful for us and for him!
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 11:45 am

Just wanted to give a quick update. Kaikoura was officially cleared by our vet on Friday so she can return to daycare and meetups and everything involving other dogs Smile

For us the warts lasted about 2 months.

She went back to daycare this weekend (it worked out perfectly as we were helping my sister-in-law move). She was so happy and exhausted I carried her upstairs afterwards. Don't know how long I'll be able to do that on a consistent basis! Here is a photo:

Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) Kai_ti10
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

Female Join date : 2013-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 11:10 am

has anybody heard of the use of thuja for dog warts? samoa has one right above her lip under her nose and has grown to pea sized.. i have done research and have read that there have been good results with it but not sure if i should wait out since it's been about a month since i noticed it growing near her mouth.. just wondering Smile thanks
Back to top Go down
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

Male Join date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 11:51 am

I'm pretty certain that most pups develop these at some point during early growth. It's just part of the immune system growth process. Hugo had them for a month or two, but they cleared up completely on their own. Kind of gross to look at and definitely alarming at first--just hang in there, and it will pass. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)   Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts) Empty

Back to top Go down

Canine Papilloma Virus (Puppy warts)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1