It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kai killed and ate a mouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

Kai killed and ate a mouse Empty
PostSubject: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 am

So Kai now has her first official kill. Saturday morning she killed and then proceeded to eat a mouse. It was pretty disgusting. To make it worse, we spotted some grey fur on her next couple of stools! Do any of you guys have experience with your husky killing and eating rodents or small animals? She hasn't displayed any signs of illness or needing to throw up. I know it's probably common, but the first time is always gross. Oh, and of course she wanted to be extra affectionate after she swallowed it.

I know some rodents can carry diseases, but Kai seems to be fine now. Of course we'll keep monitoring.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 am

Unless the mouse was poisoned you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Most of our dogs have eaten various rodents at some point or another. Think of it as her feeding herself raw. Wink

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 5:13 pm

eesh. Sorry, Dizzy hasn't eaten anything live yet, once he grabbed a dead rat in riverside park though. That was NASTY!!! Need to see some updated pix of Kai. Smile
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Considering the number of rodents (mostly moles) Shaqua has brought to me as a gift I'm sure she has eaten many that I didn't know about. Just a natural behavior for husky. As long as she doesn't get sick she should be fine.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 9:47 am

Bourbon ate a vole that gave him indigestion but it was during a time that his stomach was all ready sensitive due to a turkey allergy. Otherwise he has done fine on the vole, bluejay, and squirrel kills. I know that he eats whole vole and part of the bluejay. No sickness my other ate dead groundhog before, now I did ask the vet about that and she said that they are just like other wild animals they may mess up and eat a little something that they should not and get an upset stomach but they usually do not mess up and eat a diseased animal a carrier of a disease possibly but not a diseased animal. So wash yourself after handling and if anything wash their face or look for remnants that they leave on themselves to mask there scent. So it was more watch and see for vomit but do not real worry about disease.

seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

wpskier222 wrote:
eesh. Sorry, Dizzy hasn't eaten anything live yet, once he grabbed a dead rat in riverside park though. That was NASTY!!! Need to see some updated pix of Kai. Smile
More Kai pics added today Smile
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 am

Murphy's kill count is at 3 birds, 2 squirrels and a mouse. That we know of...

Back to top Go down
Luna
Newborn
Newborn
Luna

Female Join date : 2013-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:48 am

I'm so happy to hear it's normal! Luna is only 13 weeks old and hasn't had a chance to catch anything bigger, but right from the start she's been digging out slugs and hunting crickets and all sorts of other bugs. At first I was trying to teach her not to do that, but eventually gave up, since there's really no catching her, especially when we take her out to pee at night.
I'll be much calmer knowing that's not something I should obsess about. Wink
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 pm

To us humans it is disgusting, but it is totally normal as Huskys have a huge prey drive in general.
Unfortunately it is not possible to completely stop hunting on prey driven dog, but it is possible to control it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kai killed and ate a mouse   Kai killed and ate a mouse Empty

Back to top Go down

Kai killed and ate a mouse

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1