It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do two male huskies get along?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kichu
Newborn
Newborn
Kichu

Female Join date : 2013-08-15

How do two male huskies get along? Empty
PostSubject: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Just out of curiosity, and something to think about if I ever decide to get Kuma a playfriend. I know dogs will usually fight for the next higher-up position below you. I looked a little into it and what I found was either both dogs scuff it out, one is the winner, one will submit, or they will both hate each other and have to be kept separately.

Mainly I ask because I can't really imagine two huskies absolutely hating each other! From what I've read in your guy's posts, and how I see my Kuma act, I'm curious if that stereotype fits on huskies. They're so playful and loving, I've never really heard any horror stories about huskies (aside from destroying things) I just can't picture an aggressive husky.

So how will two male huskies get along? Do they only get along if they are both fixed? Or do even non-neutered male huskies get along?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 pm

I have two males and they get a long great! Granted when I had the first male, and got the second it was a puppy so I don't know how it would be if you got another rescue. But yes, as the puppy got older and grew they had to figure out an order that worked for them. There was some humping but that was mostly it, and now that the order has been established we don't ever really have fights or anything. Mine are both neutered so I'm sure that helps as well!
Back to top Go down
Kichu
Newborn
Newborn
Kichu

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:39 pm

I was wondering about that too. I just saw an adorable red and white male husky puppy on CL. Was curious how introducing a mature dog to a puppy would work out also.

Eventually I'd like to get Kuma a friend, but we just spent well over $700 getting Kuma and all of his doggy things. So it'll have to wait until we catch back up and it'd be nice to have him potty trained before we work on potty training another!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I honestly don't see it being a problem, I don't ever think its gender but more personality and I'm sure many members on this forum have done it with two males. Yes do all of the training first! Our dogs are only 6 months apart, although Siku was potty trained, he wasn't 100% trained on other things and now that we have two although not impossible it was very hard to train two at one time!

I have to avoid Craiglist at all cost because it makes me so mad that people are just able to give them away. I would have a million huskies if I actually went on there.
Back to top Go down
mmwhiteside
Puppy
Puppy
mmwhiteside

Female Join date : 2013-08-08

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:02 pm

I had a not so great experience with a rescue Husky that we were sheltering for a week until his new foster family was ready for him.

I met with a beatiful, gentle giant named Harley and did a slow introduction between he and Rogue at a PetSmart near our home (we wanted "neutral" territory). Rogue was thrilled with Harley who was an altered 4 year old male. Harley seemed more interested in loving us that in Rogue, but did not show any agression towards our guy so we said "sure" that we would temporary foster him.

The first day was so great, and Harley was such a love bug that I was considering the possibility to keep him as part of our Furever family. By day two he started snarling at Rogue when Rogue would just walk by. I would gently tell him "Harley, no" and he would look at me and stop.

I will admit Rogue is very much the puppy - he jumped all over Harley and wanted to play, and outside the two of them would run and hunt together. However once in the house Harley was at my side and always had to be close enough to lean on me or touch me. He even jumped on my lap on several occasions which I thought was adorable.

Day three - Harley stopped letting Rogue come near me. If Rogue even attempted to walk by an area where I was Harley snarled and growled fiercly. I had never seen a Husky show that kind of "ownership" towards a human and chalked it up to him settling in to his new environment and tried to make sure I paid equal attention to both boys at the same time.

Day four - Rogue was now cowering past Harley and whimpering just trying to get close to me. I tried going outside and getting some one on one time with Rogue and Harley tore up the garbage in the kitchen - I mean shred it from one end to the other. I was outside only about 10 minutes!

Day five - Harley began nipping at Rogue so we got him a muzzle. I hated seeing him with it on, he looked so sad!

Day six - I had the muzzle off of Harley and was petting him while he was sitting at my feet. Rogue came trotting over and Harley (who outweighed Rogue by like 20 lbs) lurched for him and bit his cheek hard enough to draw blood. My husband grabbed Harley off of Rogue and I grabbed Rogue to check to see if he was ok. He was shaken and scared and I think his feelings were more hurt than he was.

Rogue was not fixed at the time - he was only about 5 months old and still in a pure puppy play phase. Harley really was a gentle giant towards us, and again - when they were outside he and Rogue played just fine. But somehow and for some reason Harley did NOT want Rogue near me at all. We sent Harley off to his new foster family letting them know what had happened at our home. Luckily Harley was adopted a few weeks ago by a wonderful family that consists of a mom, a 14 year old daughter, and a 10 year old daughter and no other pets. We hear he is thriving!

Having shared that - you just never know what the back story is when an animal has been rescued from a shelter. I have all kinds of theories such as maybe he saw another dog attack his female owner at one time. But we will never know because as vocal as they are - they cannot tell us their past.

I don't want to scare you - I love this breed and this was the first and only time I had run into this situation. Most of the time the Huskies I have been around love to play together and get around great. I just wanted to share that it can depend on each husky individually. Make sure you take time to have meet and greet time - possibly a few times before you commit to a new member of your fluffy family if you decide to get another one. I personally can't wait to bring more fur into our lives, I am just waiting for the right time and the right match!
Back to top Go down
Kichu
Newborn
Newborn
Kichu

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Oh goodness! That would break my heart! I'm glad he found nice family to love on him. We haven't really talked about getting another dog, but we both want to eventually. I'd prefer a puppy so we can train him from the get-go but if we stumble across an older dog I'd be more than happy to give them a loving home! Of course after reading your post I'll definitely be introducing them a couple times before we decide.

As for the training, we're going to sign Kuma up for some Petsmart basic class after he gets feeling better, and it's a 6 week course. So if we do get another dog, it will at least be another 2-3 months.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:29 pm

My boys get along perfectly Smile We've actually never had a single fight in our house, or any dominance issues ever. Yes the ocassional humping each other, which is usually done by my female, or rarely my older male. You just need to look for the right dog friend for Kuma Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do two male huskies get along?   How do two male huskies get along? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do two male huskies get along?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1