It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Be careful with Antlers....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Be careful with Antlers.... Empty
PostSubject: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:23 am

My friends Golden Retriever just cracked a big molar on an antler.  She know's it was that because she was sitting there when he was chewing it and heard the tooth crack.  This dog is about 18 months old.

This is why I don't give mine antlers, my vet told me she sees this all the time.  Just wanted you guys to know to be really careful when using those antlers.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:40 am

I think it's mostly seen with whole antlers? The halved ones (with the exposed middle) I have read are OK.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 am

I don't see how this is a problem with moose antlers as well? They're so soft I can't see how my dogs can crack a tooth on it. Do you know which kind of antler specifically it was?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Moose and Elk antlers tend to be much softer than deer antlers. I don't get split antlers anymore, bbut I watch to make sure the antlers have a big marrow spot so it's relatively soft on the inside.

I prefer beef ribs to antlers now, much softer and when they are raw they are safe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Agreed Moose and Elk antlers are softer variety than Mule or Whitetail antlers (which are the hardest variety of antlers on the market)...I give my dogs moose sections frequently, Elk as well with no issues. You can also soak the pieces to make them softer as well if you are that concerned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:38 pm

I sometimes soak mine in chicken or beef broth.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Agreed Moose and Elk antlers are softer variety than Mule or Whitetail antlers (which are the hardest variety of antlers on the market)...I give my dogs moose sections frequently, Elk as well with no issues.  You can also soak the pieces to make them softer as well if you are that concerned.

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I sometimes soak mine in chicken or beef broth.

Oh thats such a great idea!! I had a couple elk antlers that I'm afraid were too hard that I put away and was planning on throwing them away, will have to try soaking them!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 5:51 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I think it's mostly seen with whole antlers? The halved ones (with the exposed middle) I have read are OK.

Good to know, my vet has always told me to stay away from antlers and hooves.  She probably means the whole ones too.  I checked and it was a whole antler that broke the dogs tooth. She got it from a pet store she doesn't remember which animal it was from but it was a large solid piece of antler. He goes Monday to have the rest of the tooth pulled poor guy!'
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Good info! We tried a few of the smaller split antlers, but they're gone in a day with Harry. The big elk antler we got him has lasted a while now. it's definitely harder than the split ones to chew (not sure which animal they were). I'll have to try soaking the next one a bit before giving it to him. I can see how this would help as the current one is noticeably softer from hours and hours of drool.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 pm

I use antlers cause Thane loves them. I soak them about once a month in hot broth and the tend to become softer, cause he kind of chews like a sissy lol.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:10 am

How long should they be soaked/how often?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 am

I don't put mine in hot water or boiling water. I just let them soak overnight in low sodium broth
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 am

I just drop mine in water buckets over night, plain ol' water.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 am

Has anyone tried the yak cheese chew stick things? They are like a small yellow brick.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 am

I just got Bourbon a himalyan yak chew which yak milk that almost looks carmelized or curddled and hardend. It is suppose to be good but I have not tried it out yet. I think it was Kelly that might have said she liked to get them. Thanks for the antler soak information I think I will try this. My antler is not highly utilized in my house do not know why but Bourobn is not crazy on it. He likes it but he walks away form it. Surprise there. I honestly can not remember if mine is deer or elk but I think elk and its smaller so that is good.

I got them beef ribs last night actually, the girls the husky aussie and the aussie ate theirs during a movie last night so 1.5-2 hours is what they lasted. They got them to break into smaller pieces not too small but. Bourbon chewed on his the whole time just chewing not breaking or "eat"ing. After the movie I placed his in a drawer for future use.

LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:10 am

xredrainx wrote:
Has anyone tried the yak cheese chew stick things?  They are like a small yellow brick.

Yep. Ajax loves them, and the one i had lasted just as long as a bully stick. I like that you can throw it in the microwave when it gets small to puff it up so they can finish it off without the choking hazard.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 11:31 am

Oh I like that microwave trick i did not know that.

Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Should a moose or elk antler be OK for a dog that's ground some teeth down on a bone? I can readily get elk from my work but it's whole not split. Moose would probably be better? Bella LOVES her bone, I think it's a smoked one that we got from my boss when I first brought the pups home, but she's ground some back teeth down on it. It's been taken but I let her have it the last few days cause I was trying to adjust her to a different crate and it seems like that tooth is still being ground down. I just need to find something that she likes that's softer, I feel bad she has nothing to chew and the chewing calms her.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 4:01 pm

While some object to the artificial bones (Nylabone for example), I like them.  They're designed to shred so there are no big pieces to cause a blockage and they're soft enough that they're a good chew toy.  I have a couple here that my two will chew on from time to time but not aggressively.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 pm

Moose would be better, Alicia.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 7:11 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Moose would be better, Alicia.

Not that I'm questioning your expertise but "Why??" Just curious ....
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 pm

Moose is softer- if you read the prior comments. Moose and Elk are the softer antler varieties. I will never give deer 'tines' (points) Whitetail is the hardest variety of antler.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 1:42 am

Also, you need to pay special attention to what TYPE of chewer your dog is. If your dog is an aggressive chewer, your dog can break its teeth on almost any type of chew.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 am

OK moose it will be when I can get them.  I can get elk from work easily but I'd rather it be a tad softer so will go with moose.  
I don't do nylabones for two reasons, one I was warned off them by my friend/trainer/boss with her saying they are a no go for her cause of cancer causing chemicals in them, and two my pups don't seem to like plastic or rubber toys really.  They have two Kong type toys that are only used if I put treats in them, two old rubber bones we just gave away because they wouldn't touch them at all!  Now a ball is another story as long as it isn't solid rubber.
Bella I wouldn't classify as an aggressive chewer...she chews pretty hard sometimes but doesn't aim to bite it into pieces.  She's gotten better since she's had the bone this time, when it was first given to her she would sit and chew for an hour or more now she seems to be chewing for 10 to 15 minutes then backing off for a bit.
Thanks everyone!  I've never given antlers before so was a bit uncertain!
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: !   Be careful with Antlers.... EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 10:58 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I don't put mine in hot water or boiling water. I just let them soak overnight in low sodium broth

That's an awesome idea Nala has a few that aren't too hard or anything but I'm sure she'd love the extra beef flavor!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Be careful with Antlers....   Be careful with Antlers.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Be careful with Antlers....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1