It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster Empty
PostSubject: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:39 pm

So I've been putting off getting a good harness but getting to the point where we should get one. My dilemma is between the Webmaster or the Palisades Pack, which from my understanding is the Webmaster plus packs, but you can use it as the Webmaster alone, correct? Our uses right now don't really necessitate having the packs since we do short hikes, nothing crazy. And I really shouldn't spend double the amount of the Webmaster, but I also don't want to need the packs down the road and have to get a whole set up again, since it doesn't seem like you can buy the pack attachment without the harness base. Any opinions? Unfortunately I didn't have the extra funds when Backcountry was having their 4h of July sale, its been a tight month. I'm trying to see if I get an REI coupon or another sale on Backcountry.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I got the Approach Pack and I absolutely love it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Can you detach the packs from the base on the Approach?
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:49 pm

i hear good things about the alpine outfitters custom harnesses and they are fair priced too
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Nope, you can't. Honestly we see no reason to. They have been a big help for carrying our water, too. I've loved having it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:51 pm

From ruffwear's site:

Built as a two-part system, the saddlebags detach from the underlying harness for rest stops and creek crossings. Saddlebags are positioned to distribute weight over the shoulders, while the Web Master™️ Harness gives you a secure connection to your sidekick and a handle to assist your dog over obstacles. Each bag has a main compartment, an interior water bottle pouch, an exterior pocket for the compression system, and a top-side stash pocket for pick-up bags and trail treats.

I would say go for the pack, for no other reason that it would be fun to have the dogs carry their own water. Smile

*Edit - that is on the Palisades, not the Approach. Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Palisades pack is WORTH IT!!!! love the detachable harness for car rides or walks in the park, and the ease of having the harness on and just having to clip the pack on the back when we get to the trail, its not fun trying to slip packs over heads and hooking everything up with a husky that will not stand still!  since bode is just about full grown i say invest the money now so you don't have to later, after all you may end up in a state that you will need a pack Wink

edit: since you have met S&J, jack has the med and sierra has the small packs in case you were wondering on size. Jack could fit the small as he has room in the MED but i wanted the larger saddle bags for him.

Last edited by jbealer on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm

The Palisades by design is versatile, so if there are ever times you would need a harness for control or stability, like swimming, short hikes, close in training/control, then having the harness alone without the packs would be helpful. If you don't need this versatility, then the Approach would be a cheaper, equally useful purchase.

It's really just a matter of your need for versatility. We love using the harness alone, so the Palisades is our best bet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks guys. I really do want the Palisades, I was just hoping to get some validation on saving money by just getting the Webmaster. I guess I should know better than that on here! lol!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Haha, cheers. Needless to say if you won't need a pack ever than the Palisades is a giant waste of money, but if.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
Thanks guys. I really do want the Palisades, I was just hoping to get some validation on saving money by just getting the Webmaster. I guess I should know better than that on here! lol!

i played that game on trying to save by getting other brands and such and you know what, they fell apart or did not work as well, so i have now learned the money spent up front for a great product is so worth it in the end, i have also used that train of thought on my own gear, i now have plenty of extra gear laying around that i can set any one up to go have fun with me!

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info on the sizing Jenn. Bode has kind of a narrower chest, but he's tall and long. I'll measure him and see what it says on the chart. You say Jack has room, does that mean room to adjust bigger, or its a little loose on the tightest setting?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 5:42 pm

It looks like his girth is around 26-27". 27" is the top end for the small, low end for the medium. Go up or down?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 7:31 pm

on the tightest setting it is loose on Jack in the chest plate area but i can adjust the 2 belly straps with room to go either way.

since he is still a yr his chest area may fill out over the next yr and the small may then be to small, i would do the Med just in case, if you get it from either k9, RW or REI they would exchange it for you if you are not happy with the size.

Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 3:59 pm

jbealer wrote:
Palisades pack is WORTH IT!!!! love the detachable harness for car rides or walks in the park, and the ease of having the harness on and just having to clip the pack on the back when we get to the trail, its not fun trying to slip packs over heads and hooking everything up with a husky that will not stand still!  since bode is just about full grown i say invest the money now so you don't have to later, after all you may end up in a state that you will need a pack Wink

edit: since you have met S&J, jack has the med and sierra has the small packs in case you were wondering on size. Jack could fit the small as he has room in the MED but i wanted the larger saddle bags for him.
So do you use the Palisades detachable harness when you take your dogs on everyday walks? In the future I'd love to get a Palisades pack and if the harness could also be used as her everyday harness since it's detachable, that'd be a huge incentive.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:13 pm

i dont use a harness to walk them every day but i do use it for car rides when i attach them to the zip line i have in the back to keep them safe. and i use it if i know we will be in busy areas, but if you do walk with a harness you for-sure use it for that. its worth every penny i think! and backcountryK9.com is having a sale right now to

Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:45 pm

jbealer wrote:
i dont use a harness to walk them every day but i do use it for car rides when i attach them to the zip line i have in the back to keep them safe. and i use it if i know we will be in busy areas, but if you do walk with a harness you for-sure use it for that.  its worth every penny i think! and backcountryK9.com is having a sale right now to
Great to hear! We recently bought a harness for Kai and it has made a big improvement in her pulling, so i think we'll stick with it. Good to know that it can be used for that as well, it makes the purchase more easily justifiable Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster   Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster Empty

Back to top Go down

Palisades Pack v. just Webmaster

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1