It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

chickens and huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rayneskies
Newborn
Newborn
rayneskies

Female Join date : 2013-06-07

chickens and huskies Empty
PostSubject: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi,
I know that this is a crazy combo, but I was hoping that some would have suggestions on making this work. I am not new to huskies and I an VERY aware of the natural prey drive. I currently have 3 sibes and 6 chicks. The chicks are in the basement. I was hoping to put them in an old dog run with a covered top and surrounded by invisible fencing. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 3:16 pm

We have 6 chickens in a coop my dh made. The only time there has been an issue is when one of the kids forget to latch it after they went in. I found 2 chickens being "played with" about a week ago after they managed to push open the door to the coop. They lost a few neck feathers but Nanook didn't eat them, surprisingly. I will go take a picture of the coop so you can get an idea.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Here we go, it is nothing pretty but it works :-)

chickens and huskies Sam_7610

chickens and huskies Sam_7611
Back to top Go down
rayneskies
Newborn
Newborn
rayneskies

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 8:22 am

Wow, the coop looks much like we are putting together. Does Nanook stress the chickens?
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 pm

The only time he really messes with them is when they get out. Once in awhile he will go and jump on the fencing if one of the chickens is leaning against it but really he doesn't bother them much at all. We close the doggie door so Nanook is stuck in the house and let them free roam the yard yards few times a week.
Back to top Go down
rayneskies
Newborn
Newborn
rayneskies

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Does Nanook have a high prey drive? I know that Bella has killed a bunny, a bird, a few mice, a snake and somehow removed the tail from a squirrel. She is my real concern. Do you have an invisible fence around the enclosure? Our chicks are still inside, but will be going out within the next 3-4 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 3:06 pm

No invisible fence, just chicken wire.
I have not seen a big prey drive yet in him with anything...unless you count swing arms LOL the chickens really are not fast movers in the coop so they do not old hold interest at all. I think giving time he will kill one if they get out, right now he just wants to play with them more. Sometimes he will sit and stare at the coop, like he is figuring out his next move LOL
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

Female Join date : 2013-04-02

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 am

Okay so we had a couple chickens once.
We built them a small coop for sleep at night and would let them roam around in the back fenced in area during the day. We would watch Baron in the yard with them, and he only attempted to chase them a couple times. When it happened we corrected the behavior, and he was really good with them. He watched them almost like a shepherd watched his sheep.
We left to check the mail one day, and didn't think to remove him from the yard.
We could not have been more wrong. We came home to find one of the chicken's heads had been eaten off and both were dead. 20 minutes alone with them and they were both killed. Shocked
The lesson I came away with here is that if we were ever to get chickens every again, we would have to keep them in a big coop out of reach of Baron.

As for prey drive, Baron killed off a couple Stellar's jay babies (parents built the nest IN his yard, so I kind of saw this coming when their time to fly came). That honestly, was only from playing with them. He didn't eat them and didn't even draw blood. I think they went in to cardiac arrest or something. :/ And I hate to say it, but I wasn't too terribly upset. The racket those birds make, and the way they harass the songbirds around here and stalk our cats, I didn't view it as too much of a loss. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rayneskies
Newborn
Newborn
rayneskies

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks so much for the input. Bella chased down a cottontail a couple of days ago and the poor thing was dead in under 15 seconds. I think that as we are building a run and coop we are putting hardware cloth under the ground about a foot, and inside of this we have an actual dog run and outside of the hardware cloth we are setting up an electric fence for chickens, not horses. We are also putting a top on the run because we have several hawks in the area.
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I know that must have been upsetting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chickens and huskies   chickens and huskies Empty

Back to top Go down

chickens and huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1